Mind if a guy shows off a little?

This pile of mahogany sat waiting to be used for the restoration of a 59 Chris Craft Capri, that never happened.

My friend lost interest or time to continue. He still has the boat.

He decided he wanted a man cave with a bar.

I decided to take advantage of the opportunity to go a little nuts and took the project beyond what was originally agreed upon. I also took the opportunity to bust his ass by inlaying the stripes on the top, so it would look like the boat would have.

I christened it Mahogany Rush. The finish is wet in the pics. It looks better dry.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015425142533_MR.jpg

37.65 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015425142654_MR1.jpg

43.74 KB

Looks good, Gary.

No foot rail?

Thanks guys.

We're going to add a brass rail to the bottom and some brass coat hooks.

I burned through a lot of lumber making the raised panels. Pretty much all of it. Had a miserable time with it twisting and curling when I ripped what started out to be 12 and 14 inch wide boards to a workable size. Never seen anything like it. I figured it was just a result of drying boards that were way too wide. If it wasn't for that, I would have had much more control over matching the grain patterns, and I would have built out the stiles with fluted, or something more than what's there.

The bar rail is made up from scrap that I laminated and finger jointed with the quarter sawn end facing up. I used a pattern from a piece of rail I made in 1990. I keep stuff like that.

I built a sled and made a lexan base plate for the router. I could slide it for the length, then lock it for the cross cuts, to make the fascia.

If I can get StevenT to buy the boat, I'll make my friend spend the money on more lumber to build a tricked out back bar and a coffered ceiling.

Working with large plank highly figured hardwoods is hugely challenging. All the back end milling and sizing just to start fabrication cut lists is a big job.

Looks like you rose to the challenge.

Thanks, Kurt.

I wish I had a video of every time I launched a piece of wood across the room after it instantly twisted, coming off the saw. [;)] I expected some. This was ridiculous.

I burned through a lot of lumber making the raised panels. Pretty much all of it. Had a miserable time with it twisting and curling when I ripped what started out to be 12 and 14 inch wide boards to a workable size. Never seen anything like it. I figured it was just a result of drying boards that were way too wide. . . .

I've had that happen with wood that came from trees that grew on a hillside. It seems to develop stresses that come out when you rip it.

I still think handling a large highly figured panel through an old raised panel shaper blade was one of the woodworking's most daunting tasks.

Yes, Sir!

Not too many things more exciting than having a whirling chunk of carbide and steel as big as your fist, at belly height, with no Kevlar vest.

The sound alone, backed my friend up a few steps.

One slip and the panel is junk. Rotate the piece the wrong way, you get tear out. Try to take the whole cut in one pass, you're an idiot asking for it. [;)]

Mantle in the same house from a few years back. The boat never stood a chance of being finished.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015427131948_mantle.jpg

47.52 KB

Nice looking woodwork, but above a fireplace?? A place where folks deliberately build fires?

Marc

I think it's a fad that started about 2000 years ago. Eventually, it will burn out.

Seriously, to begin with, this is a gas unit.

Either way, if you have an open fire that is big enough to threaten a wood mantle, you're already in a world of trouble.