Minimum 36 inch landing requirements

Trent Tarter

This is the front entry door, so it's a required exit door. Builder is trying to argue it, just wanting to make sure I am right, everything I can find in the code states that a minimum 36" landing would be required at this location.

Sounds right. R311.4.3 (All I have is the 06" IRC)

What Jim said.

Marc

R311.3 Floors and landings at exterior doors.

There shall be a landing or floor on each side of each exterior door. The width of each landing shall not be less than the door served. Every landing shall have a minimum dimension of 36 inches (914 mm) measured in the direction of travel. Exterior landings shall be permitted to have a slope not to exceed 1/4 unit vertical in 12 units horizontal (2-percent).

As I read the code, that could meet code if it is not the required egress door. If there is more than one door, who decides which is the required egress door?

No one decides. Any door that meets the egress requirements can fill in as the egress door.

Marc

Most houses only have one 3'0" door anyway, and it is usually the one noone uses.

As I read the code, that could meet code if it is not the required egress door. If there is more than one door, who decides which is the required egress door?

No one decides. Any door that meets the egress requirements can fill in as the egress door.

Marc

Marc

It may have seemed like a stupid question, but the code states that at least one egress door (min 32" width) shall be provided for each dwelling unit (R311.2) R311.3.2 states that doors other than the required egress door shall be provides with a landing... Then in an exception, the code states that a landing is not required where a stairway of two or fewer risers is located at the exterior side and the door does not swing out.

My point was that if that is not the required egress door, then could that landing be considered a step? I don't recall a code limit on the maximum width of a stair tread.