Wanted: The Dec 2005 HardiPlank Best Practices

hausdok

Hi All,

I'm currently fielding a complaint from a former client relative to JH siding wherein the customer is complaining about the fact that another inspector called out the lack of blocking, head flashings and drainage gaps around/above window and door openings on the client's home that is for sale.

The home was built in 2006. At the time I did the inspection and wrote that report, I essentially deplored the use of caulk and the lack of head flashings over/around all weather exposed windows and doors. The builder's site super had pushed back, saying that the siding manufacturer did not require head flashings over windows and doors and had pointed out that nothing in the JH installation instructions specifically required them.

When the builder's rep pushed back, the client had called me and I'd looked at the then most current installation instructions - published December 2005 - and had to acknowledge to the client that nothing in the instructions specifically required head flashings. in fact all the instructions stated was:

"A water-resistive barrier is required in accordance with local building code requirements. The water-resistive barrier must be appropriately installed with penetration and junction flashing in accordance with local building code requirements.".

I'd pointed out to the client that I was correct, because of the words, "The water-resistive barrier must be appropriately installed with penetration and junction flashing in according with the local building code requirements." The customer asked me to check with the local code guy. Thinking the code guy would back me up when faced with those instructions, I'd called the code guy; who, to my surprise, did not back me up. He said that in the absence of anything from the manufacturer, specifically requiring head flashings above windows and doors, the flexible self-adhering flashings used behind the siding around the windows and doors, that the builder was claiming were installed, were sufficient to meet their local code requirements.

I was irked but I called the client back and had to apologize to him for putting him into an embarrassing position with the builder's rep, who was by then not really very enthusiastic about addressing all of the little cosmetic issues they wanted corrected throughout the house, because he wasn't happy about having them push the nit-picky inspector's report on him. In the end, the builder refused to install any head flashings over any of those weather-exposed windows and doors.

OK, now fast forward nearly a decade, the home is up for sale and a buyer's inspector finds water infiltration around some weather-exposed windows and subsequently writes a report wherein he says that blocking, head flashings and drainage gaps are required around all weather exposed windows and doors and the buyer comes back at my client demanding some cost concession because he (the buyer) is going to have to repair some infiltration issues.

The buyer pushed back and told them what happened back in 2006 with the builder. The buyer isn't impressed; especially when his inspector tells him that if anyone - the inspector, builder or the local code guy - had bothered to review the JH Best Practices - Installation Guide back then they would have seen the illustrations in the guide that clearly showed how windows had to have blocking, head flashings and drainage gaps installed; and, if that had been shown to the local code guy the local code guy probably would have forced the issue with the builder.

My former customer then called the AHJ and whoever he talked to there acknowledged that if they had been shown a copy of the guide clearly requiring the installation head blocking, head flashings and drainage gaps, they would have indeed pushed the issue with the builder; however, since they hadn't ever been shown such a guide, blah, blah, blah............

Can you guess who he called next? Yep, moi.

Now, I don't remember exactly when I first became aware of the JH Best Practices - Installation Guide; and I don't remember the first time I'd downloaded and saved a copy to my hard drive. I do know that the guide has swollen from about fifty pages initially to nearly 300 today; but, since I don't have a copy of that initial publication (In fact the earliest one I'd downloaded was in 2010), I can't definitively say that this other inspector is full of shit. Hell, maybe he isn't!

So, before I go out there to take a look at that home and discuss this with the unhappy customer, who thinks I wasn't forceful enough in helping him deal with this issue back in 2006, I'd kind of like to know whether anyone has downloaded and saved a copy of the December 2005 James Hardie Best Practices-Installation Guide for the JH fiber-cement products. If so, I'd be ever-so-grateful if said person would be a saint and forward same to me as a zipped file so that I may know before I go out there to talk to this guy whether it should be hat-in-hand with bowed head or wearing brass knuckles ready to do battle with a horse's ass with teeth inspector that has his head tucked so far up his ass that he needs a proctologist to help him floss his teeth.

Appreciate any help any of the brethren can provide.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Yeah,

Thanks guys. That's my earliest edition too. I think this guy figures nobody is willing to call his bluff. I'll call JH in the morning. I know one of their techs from lots of prior discussions. If they had a 2005 version he can probably get it to me. If they didn't I'm gonna rain some not-to-pleasant adjectives upon said inspector.

It's not so much what he said but the way he said it. I tell folks all the time that the HardiPlank on their homes isn't done the way it would be done today but then I check to determine if it was right at the time it was installed before I start tossing my opinion around like it's gold or something.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hi All,...................

...... The buyer isn't impressed; especially when his inspector tells him that if anyone - the inspector, builder or the local code guy - had bothered to review the JH Best Practices - Installation Guide back then ...................................

Mike

Have you asked the other HI if he could provide you with what he is using as his reference material for what he is stating???? If he has it let him pony it up.

Sounds like you did all that was reasonable in 2006. Your client could have perused it after you had given him your opinion.

Then again depending on the damage it may have happened even with the additional flashing as a result of how the builder had installed it.

• 2 months later...

Mike, I just sent you an email.

I realize this is a thread that is aging but I do have best practices from Aug 08

Actually I don't know that I would call it best practices but a precurser to that type of installation manual. It was a departure from the green sheets installation and a little closer to what they now call "Best Practice" Email me if you want it. I do have quite the collection dating back to Jan 98.

Older than that is tough to come by, the internet was not the place it is now, back than, Al hadn't performed his magic at that early date:)