EMT Running from Meter Head

Mike Lamb

How do the lighting circuit wires get into the meter box? (Assuming that they don't originate there, which would clearly be way wrong.)

230.7 prohibits branch wires in the same raceway as service conductors. So, if the light's wires get into the box by passing through the service entrance conduit or nipple, then it's clearly wrong.

The meter box, however, is not a raceway. If the lighting circuit wires enter the back of the meter box on their own, then I can't find anything specific to prohibit this. Though it does seem to defy the spirit of 230.7.

230.7 prohibits branch wires in the same raceway as service conductors. So, if the light's wires get into the box by passing through the service entrance conduit or nipple, then it's clearly wrong.

The meter box, however, is not a raceway. If the lighting circuit wires enter the back of the meter box on their own, then I can't find anything specific to prohibit this. Though it does seem to defy the spirit of 230.7.

If it did enter the back of the meter socket, then I doubt that it would have been sealed properly. It seems like the only advantage for installing the circuit this was was to avoid drilling through the brick, so entering the back of the meter socket seems unlikely.

Bottom line-more likely wrong than not.