heat loss in under slab Transite ducts

John Dirks Jr

At an inspection the other day I measured a 30 degree difference between registers near the furnace and ones farther away. I thought it best to let it run for a while too. I ran it for at least an hour. It was really toasty at one end of the house and somewhat chilly at the other and it wasn't even cold outside.

After one hour of run time in 70 degree outside temps, I measured 95 degrees near the furnace and 64 degrees at the other end of the house. You could feel the temp drop as you walk from one end of the house to the other.

Aside from the other concerns with Transite, do any of you measure this temp loss and report on it? I did on this inspection and think I will on others.

Did you notice any dampers in any of the duct runs by any chance? One HVAC system with two T-Stats ... thus a zoned system due to design of home?

Yes, I do occasionally take note of temperature variations. Especially new home construction or one year warranty or when I'm aware of a new HVAC system (AND duct) being installed.

Data points for the report at the least.

Did you notice any dampers in any of the duct runs by any chance? One HVAC system with two T-Stats ... thus a zoned system due to design of home?

Yes, I do occasionally take note of temperature variations. Especially new home construction or one year warranty or when I'm aware of a new HVAC system (AND duct) being installed.

Data points for the report at the least.

There were two zones. However, the second was installed when a second story was added and it serves the upstairs only.

A friend of mine opened a wall during some repair work and found a note in a jar from three carpenters. They listed their names and the date (1939) on a brown paper bag, and rolled the paper and wound it with string before sealing the top and stashing it in the cavity.

Had the furnace ever been cleaned? I hate to admit it but early on when I was just a labourer in construction, after eating lunch leaning against a wall we would crumple up our lunch bags and stuff them down the ducting. (They were right there, so handy) I'm sure we weren't the only ones.

[:-paperba

Had the furnace ever been cleaned? I hate to admit it but early on when I was just a labourer in construction, after eating lunch leaning against a wall we would crumple up our lunch bags and stuff them down the ducting. (They were right there, so handy) I'm sure we weren't the only ones.

[:-paperba

The air volume was more than adequate so blockage is not the issue.

Could you stick your digital camera down in the duct to get any pictures? I did one once like that because of cooler air flow and found standing water in the duct. Recommended they get someone in with a sewer line camera to look and sure enough, the ducts were broken open. Also, that is a great way fro radon to get in a slab home.