Squeaky floor

So looking now at a house that was built in 1987 and the second floor squeaks really loudly pretty much everywhere, more than most houses this age. It's got carpet. It's on slab and the first floor does not squeak. How serious are squeaky floors from a structural standpoint? And how hard would it be to fix this on the second floor with carpet in place? I'm not an inspector, just looking at houses for myself and wanted to get your input on this as I'm sure you see it all the time. Thanks!

So looking now at a house that was built in 1987 and the second floor squeaks really loudly pretty much everywhere, more than most houses this age. It's got carpet. It's on slab and the first floor does not squeak. How serious are squeaky floors from a structural standpoint?

Zero structural importance.

And how hard would it be to fix this on the second floor with carpet in place? I'm not an inspector, just looking at houses for myself and wanted to get your input on this as I'm sure you see it all the time. Thanks!

A single squeaky spot is easy to fix through the carpet with squeak no more screws. A very squeaky 2nd floor can't be fixed without pulling up the carpet first - which is really pretty easy.

A single squeaky spot is easy to fix through the carpet with squeak no more screws.

I've heard those called finish-head drywall screws. Once you locate the floor joists, spread the nap of the carpet, and drive the screws through the nap to fasten the sub-floor to the joists. Works quite well in situations like yours. (You'll feel the resistance in driving the screws when you hit the joists.)

What one discovers is that sometimes the warp or weave gets wrapped up on the screw (plain old friction works) and when you're driving the screw you notice lines opening up in your carpet where the weave is pulling out.

Also, the squeaks come back.

I'm experimenting with foaming epoxy injection as a method for stopping squeaks in a 100 year old building. So far, the experiments are indicating it works.

Everyone buying a house is concerned about squeaky floors. Nobody living in the houses seems to mind. Once you live in the house for a week or so you won't notice anymore.

Exactly. In media studies that's called "narcotizing dysfunction", where enough repetition blends noises into a sub-hearing background.

Sort of like the way occupants get used to a bad set of stairs.