Comments re woodstove iinstallation

mjr6550

I'm looking for comments regarding the following response from a chimney sweep based on these photos.

"This appears to be an unlisted stove using stove pipe either as a first flue connector or as a liner. This is not a system that we would service, as it does not appear code compliant and could be a potential fire hazard."

Click to Enlarge
tn_201726222341_Clover%20stove.jpg

56.62 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201726222412_Clover%20stove-1.jpg

34.94 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201726222434_Clover%20stove-2.jpg

44.24 KB

"appears to be unlisted" probably means he can't find a label on the back. That looks like it is from a manufacturer, so has a paper trail somewhere.

But he seems to say that single-wall stove pipe has been shoved up into the fllue and used as a flue liner. Then he goes on to suggest that he will have nothing to do with it, or something to that effect. [:-boggled

He's saying it needs an SS liner instead of stovepipe as a liner.

I've found that every sweep now says that all flues need to be immediately relined or the chimney needs to be torn down and rebuilt - or the house will burn down. Some even say that if you don't do it, they'll report it to the fire marshal and your house will be condemned.

I've found that every sweep now says that all flues need to be immediately relined or the chimney needs to be torn down and rebuilt - or the house will burn down.

That's about right. It's gotten a little goofy. The "standard" is now so minutely proscribed, one could argue that even a brand new tile lined installation is dangerous.