feral lots

Jim Baird

I inspected a 120 yr old house the other day that was unoccupied for at least the last 20 yrs.  The lot had gone untended for so long I described it as having returned to a "wooded" state.  I called for an exterminator to follow me up because of evidence I found of termites.  I saw no wiggling insects, but I noted that they were unlikely to get a termite inspector until the lot was cleared.

I think the buyer remains undeterred.

Anyone here done a house on a lot returned to feral state?

No pics as the lot was so densely wooded you could not really see the building, plus I broke the screen on my point and shoot while crawling under.

I was once asked to inspect a house that turned out to be buried in blackberry brambles. It had a small path leading up to the front door, but was otherwise unrecognizable as a house. 

I turned around, got back in my car, and told them to call me back when the blackberries were gone. They never called and now, about 15 years later, the blackberries are still there - can't tell whether or not there's still a house. It's been vacant ever since. 

4 hours ago, Jim Katen said:

I was once asked to inspect a house that turned out to be buried in blackberry brambles. It had a small path leading up to the front door, but was otherwise unrecognizable as a house. 

I turned around, got back in my car, and told them to call me back when the blackberries were gone. They never called and now, about 15 years later, the blackberries are still there - can't tell whether or not there's still a house. It's been vacant ever since. 

I'd have returned every season to pick the blackberries.  They make the best pies.

I inspected a very old firehouse (originally built for the fire wagons and horses) that was completely encapsulated in poison ivy. Trunks as big as my thighs.

I was hired to inspect an early 18th century home in an area so reclaimed by nature I had to hike half a mile.  When I first saw the house, I started thinking this might be a joke and looked around for the hidden camera.  I'll try to find a photo.