replace subpanel with wires to other apartments

JimAntoni

Hi,

We have to replace a subpanel in the apartment and it turns out there are live wires (on the right hand side) going to other apartments. What is the correct way to replace the box without cutting these wires to other units? They are trapped in the knockout. If we cut the existing box in half and leave those wires on the side, will it affect the grounding to other units?

Thanks for your help and time.

Jim

electrical_panel_1.jpg

35 minutes ago, JimAntoni said:

Thank you both for the reply. I am getting the proposals and one of them is just to leave them alone and put the new one in the closet next to it. Is it ok to install an electrical panel inside a walk-in closet? 

No it is not. But that wouldn't stop the guy that installed the current set-up.

2 minutes ago, Jim Katen said:

If the existing enclosure is large enough, you can get a new panelboard that will fit inside. Just pull out the nasty old panelboard and screw in the nice new one. Your electrician should be able to get one from his supplier. 

What about mating the new cover to the old box?  The screws have to line up.  What are the chances?

8 minutes ago, Marc said:

What about mating the new cover to the old box?  The screws have to line up.  What are the chances?

https://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@electrical/documents/content/sa00406001e.pdf

As I understand it, you screw an oversized picture-frame plate to the wall. It's inner opening is smaller than the original box opening. Then the new deadfront cover screws to the picture-frame plate. 

11 minutes ago, Jim Katen said:

https://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@electrical/documents/content/sa00406001e.pdf

As I understand it, you screw an oversized picture-frame plate to the wall. It's inner opening is smaller than the original box opening. Then the new deadfront cover screws to the picture-frame plate. 

Wow.

Thank you Jim. That's a great idea. The width of the current enclosure is 14 inch. Excluding the right hand side pipe/lines, that leaves the new one with 9 inch. I cannot extend to the left as it already next to a stud. Originally when I was thinking cutting the box in half, I was thinking using this one as it is 8.88 inch wide. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-QO-100-Amp-8-Space-16-Circuit-Indoor-Flush-Mount-Main-Lug-Load-Center-QO816L100FCP/100148341

Now it looks like I can only use RSCH12L125N on your back sheet as current one has 12 breakers. Is it okay to use this one but with N on UL67 listed? Thx.