Inspector/builder confrontation

A client asked me to be present for the walk-thru on her newly constructed home.  She and the builder both came with a copy of a report I did for her and the walk thru progressed by going over each page/finding of the report.

In response to a CO asphyxiation hazard created by a ventless fireplace, the builder said he'd install a CO monitor, even though most monitors don't alert to anything less than 50 ppm, which can seriously impair health within a few days.

In response to a voltage drop of 20% in a bedroom wall receptacle - voltage dropped from 124 to 99 volts when a 15 amp load was placed upon it - he said he had his own home inspector, who said there was no such thing as voltage drops.  He also said the house was code compliant because it had passed a code inspection. In Louisiana, a large portion of the building code isn't enforced.  Also, when a code inspector passes an inspector, it legally implies that the house is compliant.

This house had one thermostat but two air return registers.  The thermostat was near the smaller return which served only two rooms.  This thermostat was not sensing the temperature of the returning air on the other return grille, which served the rest of the house.  This wise ass builder said this is the way all of his homes are done.  It's his own standard. I told him of my experience in resid AC since the mid 80's (I think he was born after I started AC).  He turned a little red in the face, grinned a little, then said this is how their AC guy does it and that there is a warranty on the house.  Anything goes wrong and they will fix it.

The experience got me thinking...what the hell was I doing there?

I write the report and give it to the client. I'll help a little, but I'm not their champion. I do my best to reference code, manufacturer's instructions major organizations and ASTM standards. Usually, the only time I see the builder is in court.

I can't think of anything good coming from the situation you described.     

• Like 2

I have been where Marc was and also where Chad refers.  Often the court will take a field trip with all interested parties and ask questions and allow some genteel conversation. It often goes off the rails and can be a major spittin' match.  

I enjoy it.  I also do not mind being wrong or having something taught to me in that situation/context.  Unfortunately, it does not happen very often.  Usually the "testosterone" flows and they chew through their own life lines.

In Michigan the builder is regulated and the inspector is not.  I get admitted to court, give my opinion and go home. 

Right, Marc, you did what she asked, and clarified the points in your report, all you can do.

It's her choice to walk or buy, and fight for repairs when they become necessary.  If that happens, your report will be helpful.

A builder parked a gas water heater on the floor in the corner of a narrow garage. I said there should be a bollard to prevent a collision. Builder said no, not required, doesn't care if it leads to a tragedy.  Such arrogance. Buyer looks to their realtor. Realtor just shrugs, wants completion and a fat commission. What a racket.😆

7 hours ago, John Kogel said:

Right, Marc, you did what she asked, and clarified the points in your report, all you can do.

It's her choice to walk or buy, and fight for repairs when they become necessary.  If that happens, your report will be helpful.

A builder parked a gas water heater on the floor in the corner of a narrow garage. I said there should be a bollard to prevent a collision. Builder said no, not required, doesn't care if it leads to a tragedy.  Such arrogance. Buyer looks to their realtor. Realtor just shrugs, wants completion and a fat commission. What a racket.😆

Makes my hair go white.

• 3 months later...