Basement receptacle

dexy123

I was told that basement Duplex receptacles need to be placed at 24" above the slab. I can't find that anywhere, only that it needs to be at 12". I thought just to be safe I would set them at 24" (High water table, flooding is possible). Does anyone know the code, and is there any reason I should not place the outlets at 24".

Originally posted by dexy123

I was told that basement Duplex receptacles need to be placed at 24" above the slab. I can't find that anywhere, only that it needs to be at 12". I thought just to be safe I would set them at 24" (High water table, flooding is possible). Does anyone know the code, and is there any reason I should not place the outlets at 24".

The NEC doesn't specify any minimum height for the required wall receptacles. According to section 210.52, you can put the receptacles at any height from 5'-6" above the floor down to the floor itself. If you stay within 18" of the wall, you can even put them in the floor and they'll count toward the requirement. I don't see anything special about basements.

The only minimum height requirement I'm aware of is in the ADA standards (it's 15 inches). Last I checked these don't apply to residential basements.

You're local jurisdiction may have additional requirements.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by inspectorschulz

How about garage receptacles? They require water heaters to be 18" so would that not include outlets (ignition source).

Mike

No. There's no such requirement for a residential garage. I know it would make sense if there were such a rule and, in my area, garage receptacles are universally installed high on garage walls but there's no such rule in the NEC.

Commercial garages, on the other hand, have to have their receptacles at least 18 inches off the floor. There's an assumption that flammable fuels are being dispensed there, not just stored there. Read all about it in article 511.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Regarding water heaters (or clothes dryers, etc.) being a minimum of 18" above finished floor in garages; although I am not attempting to quote code, I have always understood that in addition to the electrical connection, the heating/ignition source is to be at least 18" AFF.

Regarding residential/commercial application of this theory; since flamable fumes could be present from automobiles, landscape maintinance equipt., etc., I don't differenciate between the two. I also reccomend a ballard or some type of physical protection.

As I stated, I am not attempting to argue code, nor am I challanging anybody's knowledge of code. I certainly do not profess to be a code guru. But, if I am wrong, it doesn't bother me so long as I err on the side of safety.

Steve