White Products Corp

CNewhouse

Saw this beauty in a 1964 ranch today. Based on what I've been able to find online, it seems White Products Corp was a precursor to Bradford White? Any ideas as to the age of this bad boy? Still working, delivering 130 degree water to fixtures, though the tank is corroded and dripping significantly from the TPRV discharge piping.

IMG_1464.JPG

IMG_1465.JPG

17 hours ago, Bill Kibbel said:

Bradford started out manufacturing coal-fired range boilers in the early 1880s .  They merged with White in the late 1960s.

That water heater is probably from around 1960.

I was wondering if it was original to the home, but had never seen a 57 year old water heater. Didn't realize it was possible. Pretty cool.

I've seen a few that were in the 50+year-old range. The only thing that prevents most water heaters from lasting that long is deterioration of their tanks. 

I'm determined to make my own 1993 American water heater last for 50+ years by regularly changing the anode. In fact, I *need* to make it last that long because I mis-under-estimated when I was building the house and the water heater closet's doorway is 2" narrower than the water heater. . . 

Maybe this house is on well water?

I've seen a few old electric water heaters and they were always out of town on private water, no additives. Not counting the old copper tanks that lasted longer than the house sometimes.

Some old tanks were glass lined, which I think is fiberglass coating inside.

Jim, there is always a way, such as down thru the floor or up into the attic?

Edited by John Kogel

11 hours ago, John Kogel said:

Maybe this house is on well water?

I've seen a few old electric water heaters and they were always out of town on private water, no additives. Not counting the old copper tanks that lasted longer than the house sometimes.

Some old tanks were glass lined, which I think is fiberglass coating inside.

Jim, there is always a way, such as down thru the floor or up into the attic?

For a while Ruud used Monel tanks. They'll last forever. 

I figure that I'll keep my water heater running until we develop the technology to "beam" it out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom Raymond said:

Our water quality is horrible. In the 22 years I've owned my house I've put 5 water heaters in. Except for the one that rusted through in 9 months, they tend to last a month or two longer than the 6 year warranty.

Make the next one a Rheem Marathon. At least it'll never rust. 

My brother's 71 split has the mechanical room under the landing. A boiler, a water heater, service equipment, and the water main. I had to pull the zone valves and part of the cover off the boiler to have room to slide the new tank horizontally over everything and drop it in behind. It fit, but it rubbed everything and took 3 of us to squeeze it in there.