Garage door safety reverse works and doesn't?

Mike Lamb

This has happened to me once before. I kick my foot through the photoelectric safety reverse beam of the overhead garage door - near one of the beams - and the door does not reverse. I try again near the center of the door opening and the door goes up like it is supposed to. I repeat, and the same thing happens?? Anyone experience this? Remarks?

I'm gonna guess that you were near the sensor eye and not the emitter eye. The emitter sends out a beam of infrared light, but it's not focused like a laser, it widens like a cone on its way to the sensor.  When you wave your foot in front of the sensor, you only obstruct part of the light and some reflected light might still make it into the sensor. As you move closer to the emitter, your foot obstructs more of the light. Just a wild-ass guess. 

• Like 1

I've never had it happen or heard of it happening.

Maybe it's not the sensor. I have heard of some special few individuals that can pass undetected by photo-eye motion sensors.  Sometimes it's intermittent.  Ever have a floodlight not turn on when you pass, but a moth a hundred yards away sets it off every time?  Ever have the grocery store door not open for you?  How about those sensor flush toilets and rest room sinks?

fargo-carrie-coon-waving.gif

• Like 1

This has happened to me a few times as of late. I have come to realize some sensors don't react well to a swift kick of the foot. Rather they need to be obstructed momentarily to trip. I suggest doing as I have, start stepping in the way of the beams so there is no confusion.