Bermuda Roof

JEuriech

Last week I inspected a 1984 townhouse with a different type of roof that I am not familiar with. From the ground it appeared to be maybe a 2" concrete tile roof. However, once I climbed up on the roof it turned out to be a foam roof with some sort of hard crusty surface. It looked like all one unit instead of individual pieces. Like maybe they sprayed the foam and then somehow made the impression of the tile afterwards.

Before I left, I talked with the neighbor next door. He told me that it was a Bermuda Roof. A foam roof with a hard mortar surface. He also said that most of the roofs in the area have had leakage problems and needed to be sealed.

The buyer of the townhouse called me later in the day and told me that they had canceled the contract due to all the issues found in the inspection. Now I am currently doing some research on this type of roof so that I am better prepared in the future.

Can anyone tell me how this roof is installed or where I might be able to find information on it?

Thanks,

Jeff Euriech

Peoria, AZ

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Bermuda Roof 1.jpg

192.44 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Bermuda Roof 2.jpg

210.67 KB

I can understand why they call it a Bermuda roof. The outward appearance of the roof makes it look like one of those roofs in Bermuda that consist of limestone slates lain out on the roof. I once saw them do a segment on them on the This Old House show. I suppose using foam and sprayed grout to simulate one of these makes a nice looking roof, but I'd never install one without complete coverage beneath the surface from eaves to ridge with a layer of ice and water shield.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 5 years later...

During hurricanes Floyd, Francis and more recently Irene my house had suffered severe roof damage loosing architectural shingles down to the roof decking. Severe water damage occurred in two instances.

I need to install a roof which will survive through the hurricanes. Most knowledgeable contractors sight the Bermuda roof as the best roof one can get to do that. Unfortunately, these roofs cost three times the normal shingle roofs. I am willing to take this financial hit for the satisfaction of not suffering after major hurricanes.

Where can I get such roof installation info.

I am a mech. eng. and built three of my own houses.

During hurricanes Floyd, Francis and more recently Irene my house had suffered severe roof damage loosing architectural shingles down to the roof decking. Severe water damage occurred in two instances.

I need to install a roof which will survive through the hurricanes. Most knowledgeable contractors sight the Bermuda roof as the best roof one can get to do that. Unfortunately, these roofs cost three times the normal shingle roofs. I am willing to take this financial hit for the satisfaction of not suffering after major hurricanes.

Call Jim Katen up in Oregon. He's your best bet.

In order to learn what the wind zone is in your area, in which city is your house?

Marc

In order to learn what the wind zone is in your area, in which city is your house?

Marc

It's going to windy. Eleuthera is an island in The Bahamas, lying 50 miles (80 km) east of Nassau. It is very long and thin 110 miles (180 km) long and in places little more than a mile wide.

Then you need the highest wind rating made. Check these out:

Owens Corning

GAF

Marc