Brown liquid dripping down over exterior of house

bobcamarda

blue ridge fiberboard i believe.. Wouldn't the plastic vapor barrier prevent the moisture inside from permeating through though? And again the inside humidity levels are fine. Woke up this morning my attic temp was 44 with 69% humidity?? dry as a bone outside, I think its all a related issue, but have no clue even where to start.

Well the humidity in your area is at 65% according to the weather service a few minutes ago. The plastic traps any moisture in the wall. The moisture gets into the area through condensation or seepage. I'm betting on condensation from a warm interior and cold air infiltration from the exterior.

Yancey Mills, Crozet

Elevation

600 ft

Clear

Temperature

42.8 ?F

Feels Like 43 ?F

Pressure

30.19 in

Visibility

9.0 miles

Clouds

Clear -

Moisture

Humidity

65%

Rainfall

0.00 in

ok. update, so i went up in the attic.. and found water droplets on a bunch of the nails. it seems to be the worse right over the attic access (nails quite rusty droplets bigger) but I crawled around up there and it is spread over a wider area. the attic is only about 3-4 feet high and about 30 feet long. the house has dormers and has a steep pitch on the front and flatter on back (ill put pix up of it on monday). I have a guy coming by with the infrared gadget to assess where heat loss is since it HAS to be heat from house making it to the attic, there really isn't any other explanation sine the attic has plenty of flow from soffit to ridge, no plumbing or water source and it has all new insulation and HVAC ductwork that has been sealed and wrapped. I guess my question now is can this humidity be causing the rear wall to bleed?? if so how do you fix it. i am trying to avoid replacing the siding, Celotek, etc. but also by reading the earlier posts, the issue is the worst between the 2 upstairs bathrooms. I already have plans to remove the 2nd floor windows which are single pane with storm windows, and replace with Low E double pane gas filled vinyl replacements come january.. any tips, don't have a large budget, but tired of the contractor run-around.

• 2 weeks later...

You probably can't unless you want to strip off all of the siding and redo the WRB under the siding.

Try using some TSP or maybe an industrial cleaner to remove the grunge without removing the paint and periodically re-clean it.

The Dollar Tree store sells a product called Awsome Orange - $1 for a half gallon - that's every bit as good as the stuff I can get in the big orange box store or at the corner auto parts store for five or six times the price. I spent about $50 for about 11 gallons of water-based parts cleaner/degreaser for my 20-gallon parts cleaner at the auto parts store. When I went to refill it, I bought $40 worth of Awsome Orange and discovered that it is every bit as effective as the high-priced stuff for less than half the price.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I posted a while ago about the brownish liquid and condensation problem. As the winter gets colder the issue is way worse. I have included these photos as requested, any ideas?? I am about to replace the crappy windows to see if it helps, but after that i don't know what to do. Again, moisture under siding, rusty nails, high humidity and water droplets in attic etc.. HELP! HOW DO YOU ADD PICS??

Look, why not pick out one wall and take the siding off? Determine what's missing, what was done wrong then figure a course of action, a plan, before you install new siding back.

Choose a small wall to keep the expense down but one that still exhibits the bleeding.

Marc

Ok, I posted a while ago about the brownish liquid and condensation problem. As the winter gets colder the issue is way worse. I have included these photos as requested, any ideas?? I am about to replace the crappy windows to see if it helps, but after that i don't know what to do. Again, moisture under siding, rusty nails, high humidity and water droplets in attic etc.. HELP! HOW DO YOU ADD PICS??

If you're in a hurry get a hotel room, scrap the house, and start over. The funny thing is; you will probably end up with the same problem.

HELP! HOW DO YOU ADD PICS??

Nothing to it. Resize them so that they are under 500 kb and save them as JPG pictures. Make sure the file names don't have any special symbols or spaces in them.

Window pics won't work, Window(Pics) wont work. Window_pics will work or WindowPics will work.

Go to your post, click the edit tab above it. When it opens up, click on the upload a visible picture tab below this box, go to the photo on your computer, click the upload button and wait. When you get the file successfully uploaded box, close that box and then save the changes to your post and the photos will be there.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 2 years later...
  • 6 years later...

I literally just had my roof done with new shingles a week ago, i live in central florida it’s hot and humid here.  I noticed a few days after the install brown stains on my concrete pool deck, and the facia. Drip marks.  Looking at the roof from the ground I can see huge ways of brown stains on the shingles.  Any insight is appreciated!!

• 1 month later...

The main cause of roof stains depends on the climate, location of the building. As mentioned, you are in central Florida with a hot and humid climate is the main cause of this. One of my friends also had a similar issue with his slate-coloured shingled roof who is lives in the north of Canada. The humid climate creates algae and fungal growth in shingles which make these stains. He has tried both chlorine and oxygen bleach for this stain removal. Even though chlorine bleach is the most effective one, I would recommend oxygen bleach considering its effect on nature.

Edited by Bill Kibbel
Removed link to unrelated advertising.

• 10 months later...