Cricket / Dead Pocket Corners

Steve Boozer

I'm trying to teach my guys to leave out the last piece or two of step flashing when running the sidewalls at the corners of crickets and dead pockets. Then run two courses of shingles past the corner. Then install the metal pan / modified at the corner. Doing it this way ceates the gap that the roofer should understand he needs to perfectly fill with the side wall step flashing. Once installed you can tuck the caulk gun underneath and caulk the tight gap where they join. Comments?

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif IM000338.JPG

53.25 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif IM000339.JPG

94.1 KB

While we're on the subject, Steve, can you start a revival within the roofing industry?

I was on another new home construction inspection and the house had brick veneer with two modified rubber roofs over porches. As a mason, I remember raking out joints or actually installing counter-flashing upon request for roofers. Now, I'm seeing 15' of flashing turned up and nailed against brickwork with only a bead of mastic preventing moisture intrusion.

Whatever happened to flashing and counter-flashing? I miss seeing it and feel like it was pretty good insurance that there would never be leakage.

Am I missing something?.. like wonder mastics? or does my complaint have merit?

Originally posted by kurt

Flashing is not hard; just imagine water running down the roof, and put metal in all the right places.

Originally posted by mgbinspect

Whatever happened to flashing and counter-flashing? I miss seeing it and feel like it was pretty good insurance that there would never be leakage.

Flashing is the most often fouled-up critical element of roofing in my area. It's either missing entirely or installed wrong somewhere on almost every roof I walk. That's depressing, because it is good insurance and it isn't that hard to figure out. So far in my young career I've seen just three chimneys with flashing and counter flashing properly installed, and I have no one to refer the others to for a good fix. Faster, cheaper, and dumber is winning that battle here. [:-indiffe

Brian G.

Alone in an Ocean of Bad Flashers [:-blindfo

Originally posted by Steve Boozer

I'm trying to teach my guys to leave out the last piece or two of step flashing when running the sidewalls at the corners of crickets and dead pockets. Then run two courses of shingles past the corner. Then install the metal pan / modified at the corner. Doing it this way ceates the gap that the roofer should understand he needs to perfectly fill with the side wall step flashing. Once installed you can tuck the caulk gun underneath and caulk the tight gap where they join. Comments?

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif IM000338.JPG

53.25 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif IM000339.JPG

94.1 KB

Is that the final installation? I don't like the way it looks. It seems unfinished to me. I also think that under certain wind conditions there can be uplift of the exposed flashing edge. Will you fold the end down somehow so it looks more finished and elminates the exposed end?

Originally posted by Steve Boozer

Sounds fine. If it were me, I'd line the area with Ice & Water Shield first as added insurance.

I guess no one solders corner flashing anymore?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Here's a blurred finished pic. I was mainly just saying if they just cut the sidewall flashing to fit the corner and then install the pan, it leaves a gap where they meet. But if you leave out the last piece or two of step at the corner, then run the two courses of shingles past the corner, and then install the pan. Now you can cut and install your step flashing to perfectly fit the corner since the gap has been created. On a back pan on a chimney you don't need this method. But I see gaps all the time at dead pocket corners and cricket corners, so I'm trying to get the guys to do it like this. I usually only put ice and water in the valleys and not on walls since I've never seen a properly step flashed wall leak. If I do a dead pocket corner to the gutter, I do put ice and water there though. And yea, never see soldered corners here.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif IM000344.JPG

63.74 KB