Jump to content

vent connector


Recommended Posts

Almost looks like flexible / corrugated drainage pipe used for underground drainage systems.

I just posted something over on the 'Electrical' forum commenting on how easy it is to simply follow the manufacturer's instructions. Looks like the manual for the water heater is sitting right on top. It probably specifies exactly what is allowed as vent material.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's a fire hazard.

The CPSC has been trying to make people understand since 1997 that using corrugated ducts for dryers is foolhardy. They did a survey of fires from 1994 to 1997 and discovered that there were over 17,000 house fires in the U.S. that had been started by lint buildup in corrugated plastic or aluminum dryer ducts.

I used to have a copy of their 1997 consumer product safety alert which explained this really well. Probably still do, but can't find it. It's in one of these stacks of documents I'm sure, but it'd take a day of searching to locate it (Need more space and more filing cabinets.). I tried to find it on their site but the closest thing to it I could find was this, which isn't as strong as the original document. In the original, they condemned the use of any corrugated ducting material and recommended using a square box vent at the back of the dryer combined with smooth-walled metal pipe. That doc is gone now and this is the closest thing to it I can find and now it says "rigid or corrugated semi-rigid metal duct." I'm wondering if they withdrew the original because dryer manufacturers began ballyhooing?

Bottom line, it should be smooth-walled metal from the dryer to terminus with no screws at joints (They can be sealed by taping them with high-temperature resistant foil tape).



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man, this is a totally new one on me; I'd never imagine that flex would be approved for vent connectors, although if it's the same stuff as they use for venting exhaust out of garages, it's pretty touch stuff.

What's it called? How does the "Michigan code" classify it or describe it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Thought I'd responded a second time to this in the morning. Guess not.

I'd noticed it was on a power-vented water heater the first time I saw it but by the time I'd responded to the thread I'd forgotten and was tracking wrong. Still, it looks like ABS plastic. I thought I read someplace that ABS is good up to temperatures of about 450°F.

OT - OF!!!


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...