No Power Inspection?

OntarioInspector

I was just wondering if anyone has done an inspection of a home where the power has been disconnected? I have an inspection tomorrow, and have been told the power is disconnected. I'm just wondering how you can possibly do a proper inspection and if you would charge the normal fee as there is so much you cannot do without power to the house, not to mention how dark it will be in the home.

Thanks, Mike

We do "no power" inspections frequently. There is an additional fee for second visit and the first inspection is not valid until the second is completed. Different markets have different fees, so you have to make the call.

I never assume I know why someone wants an inspection with "no power", but if they do want one, then we do it.

It happens from time to time.

I do them, charge what I would for the normal inspection, because the liability is increased, and I exclude anything that I needed to have the power on to check and couldn't.

If they want me to come back after the power is on, I consider it a reinspection. Since I charge by the hour at twice my normal hourly rate for reinspections, including travel time to and from site and for any additional paperwork that needs to be done, that can easily cost as much as a full inspection. Given the traffic snarls we have around here, I don't get called for a lot of reinspections. Suits me fine.

I'm not very sympathetic to their plight when this happens, because the agent should have done his or her job, coordinated with the listing agent, and made sure the home was fully prepared for inspection before I was ever called. I always make sure to impress this upon my clients beforehand, and more than once the agents have borne the cost of the reinspections.

This is a professional discipline - not a service trade. All you've got to sell is your time and knowledge. Don't sell it too cheaply and don't let it slide when other professionals involved in the transaction fail to do their part for the client.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I have already agreed to do the inspection. I figured there would be lots of disclosure in the report noting that many thing could not be fully inspected because............ The client is more concerned with the structure of the home than anything else. It's a complete fixer-uper but he wants to know that it's structurally sound. I have never done an inspection without power, it will be different that's for sure.

I didn't plan on reducing my price at all but thought I would ask. I am not one to barter with on price of a home inspection. If you don't like my price, call someone else who will do it cheaper, you'll likely regret it is my opinion.

Thanks for the help, Mike

Like Les, I do a lot of inspections with no power. These are always bank or HUD owned properties, they simply will not turn the power on.

I charge the same as I would when the power is on and charge a re-inspection for a return trip which rarely happens.

For the buyers, Learning as much as they can without power is better than learning nothing at all about the condition of the house.

I feel the same way as Mike, I am selling my time and knowledge and am happy to help the client anyway I can.

Originally posted by OntarioInspector

I was just wondering if anyone has done an inspection of a home where the power has been disconnected? I have an inspection tomorrow, and have been told the power is disconnected. I'm just wondering how you can possibly do a proper inspection and if you would charge the normal fee as there is so much you cannot do without power to the house, not to mention how dark it will be in the home.

Thanks, Mike

Why not just tell them to call the power company and have the electricity turned on for the day tomorrow?

We do that here frequently. In fact, in the town of McMinnville they'll show up within an hour to turn it on. (Small town with it's own power company. Ya gotta love it.)

Inspecting a house with the power off is a pain in the butt.

- Jim Katen, Oregon