Sunken Bath

NewInspector

I never imagined I'd ever see something like this. Just imagine my surprise as I pulled back the curtain to reveal this. This was definitely an accident waiting to happen.

RDH

Quote: A man who has nothing to fear from the truth, has nothing to fear from lies.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Int_SunkenBath.jpg

180.51 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Int_SunkenBath2.jpg

228.38 KB

Certainly ugly, but why is it any more dangerous than a regular tub-shower? Occupant becomes sick to stomach looking @ tile color, pukes, and keels over in shower? Well, on 2nd look, maybe the tiny stair tread and no handrail(?).

What about mortar bed tile liner & drain flange assembly? I'd be more worried that the thing is leaking where you can't see. Lotta 50's mortar bed showers used galvanized metal pans that rust out & leak.

Hi,

Looks very much like showers that I've seen in Germany, France, Saudi Arabia and Korea. Go to any economy hotel in Korea and the entire bathroom will be tiled with a drain in the floor and a shower head and spout will be protruding from the wall not far from the toilet. There'll be a mud pan under the entire room and a curb to step over as you enter the bathroom. The entire bath functions as a bathing area. Lots of typical middle-class Korean homes are set up the same way. It's only the rich pretentious types who have American style baths.

I suppose it's possible that whoever owned that house when that shower was installed is from another country and didn't see the need for a tub or fancy shower surround.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Puking is bad, but I look at slippery surfaces, soapy water, lack of anything to hold onto, combined with only hard stuff to fall on as a greater risk than many of the things about which people fantasize (mold, CO from the kitchen stove, lightning...)

Children and the elderly are especially prone to falls. Often, the first sign a person has that they are getting old is they begin to fall somewhat regularly. Modern tubs and showers have non-skid floors for good reason. When I see a tub like this, I feel obliged to warn of the risk to children, in-laws, grandparents and the handicapped more than I do possible leaks. Of course I report that too.

Originally posted by kurt

Certainly ugly, but why is it any more dangerous than a regular tub-shower? Occupant becomes sick to stomach looking @ tile color, pukes, and keels over in shower? Well, on 2nd look, maybe the tiny stair tread and no handrail(?).

What about mortar bed tile liner & drain flange assembly? I'd be more worried that the thing is leaking where you can't see. Lotta 50's mortar bed showers used galvanized metal pans that rust out & leak.

That's a tough statistic to find. The stats give "Falls" without separating stairs/bath/other.

Also, age, geographic region and time of year are big factors (more fires, for example in the southeast).

But overall, I think you've got it right.

Originally posted by kurt

Fair point.

Statistically, I think accident potential runs down a line of stairs, kitchen fire, & bathroom falls, no?