lead paint testing

zeb

I'm looking to get into lead paint testing. I have received many calls in regard to testing. I got into radon because my clients asked for it. I think my clients are asking for this,,,But has anyone done this and is it a bigger pain in the butt than radon and worth it??

Hi,

I took a lead inspector's course about 7-8 years ago. The course taught me that it's a very complicated and time consuming protocol and the liability is HUGE. So huge that I never added lead inspections to my list of services.

For instance, you have to take 1-inch square samples from surfaces throughout a house, package it properly and maintain a proper chain of custody. It's not as if that was a problem for me. Hell, I did that on crime scenes for years and it's second nature. However, we're home inspectors - who's going to give us permission to take destructive samples of paint from a home that they're selling? And even if they do, then if the buyer walks you've got the seller pissed and demanding that you restore the finishes throughout the home.

Too many headaches. Better to leave it for the environmental testing firms. They're already set up for it, insured for it and I'd prefer to let them deal with the sellers, not me.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Why not just try to be the "world's best inspector"? I am the "pot calling the kettle black", because I have been involved in every ponzi scheme known to mankind at some time in my lurid past. None of them worked and when I concentrated on inspection, me and my company prospered!

Ask any of the old farts and they will pretty much tell you the same thing.

Hi Caoimhin,

There was a fellow in that lead inspectors class that I took who did XRF surveys. Don't know what ever happened to the guy. Tried to look him up a few years ago and couldn't locate him. He'd bought into one of those large lead testing franchises and had purchased the device as part of the package. As I recall, part of the difficulty with the XRF dealt with renewing the isotope occasionally and transporting the thing across state lines was problematic because the laws pertaining to handling of radioactive materials can differ widely from state-to-state.

Anyhoo, I was pretty interested in the device at that time and thought that it would be the perfect add-on to my business, until that is, I learned during that class that the XRF testing was only presumptive and, to do it right and for the results to be legally valid, I'd have to do destructive sampling and send the samples to a lab for confirmation anyway. At that point, I just couldn't see where it could be a profitable add-on. Still don't. I could be wrong - usually am when it comes to money - but I just don't understand how the added expense and liability taken on by doing lead exposure surveys can be justified, given the limitations on the use of the results without destructive sampling and what consumers are willing to pay for the added on expense.

OT - OF!!!

M.