Vinyl Siding on insulation foam(Tyvek)

RPat

My home has Tyvek installed on the framing and then the vinyl siding nailed on top.

My question is:

Shouldn't there be anything else (like chipboad) that has to be nailed to the framing first and then Tyvek and then siding?

The siding is getting loose and is difficult to secure it back on.

My home has Tyvek installed on the framing and then the vinyl siding nailed on top.

My question is:

Shouldn't there be anything else (like chipboad) that has to be nailed to the framing first and then Tyvek and then siding?

Yes. Vinyl siding should never be installed directly over studs. It requires sheathing between the studs and the vinyl.

The siding is getting loose and is difficult to secure it back on.

Are the nails coming loose?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

It's going to get a lot more loose.

Sorry to break it to you, but all the siding has to come off, and the house sheathed in whatever material you choose (foam, plywood, OSB, etc.), and then new siding installed. I don't think you'll be able to salvage the existing siding.

Originally posted by RPat

Yes, the nails are coming loose.

The vinyl siding is not directly nailed to the framing. The Tyvek (insulation) is between the siding and the framing.

Nope. Doesn't count.

The house is 5 years old.

Do I any recourse with the builder?

I don't know. It depends on the laws in Georgia. We have some inspectors here from GA, maybe they'll chime in.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

RPat,

I'm looking around for Alan Funt. That has to be a joke. I have installed hundreds of thousands of square feet of vinyl siding for Habitat.

Even the newest volunteers would know better than that. The reason for the blue board is most often to provide a smoothe surface over the wood planks on which we usually install the vinyl.

I'm pissed when a section of the wood planking won't give a good substrate for the nail. You've given me a new appreciation for having anything there at all.

Your contractor should be required to serve a thousand hours with Habitat. It would be a great education, and he would learn how to make really sharp looking 45 degree cuts at the corners. Simple, decent, affordable housing in partnership with people in need.

hope this helps...

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif IMG_0775.jpg

200.16 KB

hope this helps...

That's not Tyvek. It's foam sheathing.

Check with your local building department, but around here, foam sheathing is allowed with vinyl.

If you look carefully, I'll bet that you've got plywood or OSB sheathing at the corners of the house and perhaps at one or two other places to provide shear strength to the walls. These are called brace panels.

Cheesy, but true.

- Jim Katen, Oregon