Purchasing a Radon measuring equipment?????

Brian Kelly

I have been discussing the idea of purchasing a Radon measuring device. I have a fellow HI that states the benifits of the equipment compaired to the canisters I have been using.

I am very happy with the canisters as I have my results with in 24 hours of mailing them in to the lab and the total cost is what I call execptiable. I have been told that a machine will cost aprox. $700 with an aditional $100 per year calibrating costs.

My questions are 1) is there any liability put on myself if using a machine. 2) is anyone else using these and is there any benifit as to using the canisters?

Thanks

Brian,

I stopped using canisters ten years ago. We have several Sun Nuc devices. Always good service, accurate and paid for.

Get your credentials and establish the proper protocol and go for it. Most lawsuits regarding radon involve the screener not properly placing device. Canisters are not as reliable as electronic, in my opinion.

Yep, credentials are a must - or don't offer the service. Les, do your peeps do any mitigation?

I have the NEHA certification, but have been using canisters because I can provide the service at a lower cost to the client. But I am considering the SunNuc CRM.

Tested a house this weekend with a result of 40.3pCi/L. Buffalo has an escarpment that is a hot spot for Rn.

Originally posted by Les

Brian,

I stopped using canisters ten years ago. We have several Sun Nuc devices. Always good service, accurate and paid for.

Get your credentials and establish the proper protocol and go for it. Most lawsuits regarding radon involve the screener not properly placing device. Canisters are not as reliable as electronic, in my opinion.

We do no mitigation, but do offer and perform radon mitigation system inspections. We charge $000 stand alone price and include it in a regular inspection at no cost. We find 60-70 systems per year that are not properly installed, to the point of not working. Most systems that are in place have small flaws or concerns, but are functional.

I have only 1027's and a couple 1025's. The newer units are not as tough.