Jump to content

Stiffback or Purlin?


Recommended Posts

This has become an all to common find as of late. As a past framer I would have never attempted to use a strong backer as anything more than means to stiffen a truss gabled wall. To try to make these function as a structural element is not sound framing. My findings are that with truss construction a lot of framers are no longer trained in the art of stick framing a roof.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's too big for hangers, you'll have to call it something else. Wasted lumber?

Originally posted by Jim Katen

It lacks the struts necessary to function as a purlin.

It's not stiff enough to function as a stiffback.

I'd call it a closet rod.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...