Tar and Gravel Roof

Brandon Whitmore

Originally posted by Brandon Whitmore

I have an inspection on a home with a tar and gravel roof coming up on Tues. Does anyone know of any good sites where I can brush up on installation details prior to my inspection?

Thanks

You want the NRCA Roofing & Waterproofing Manual. The fifth edition (current) costs about $400.

You used to be able to view them online for free but alas, no more.

If you go here: http://www.nrca.net/technical/manual/default.asp you can view the manuals online for free, *if* you join NRCA.

I've got an old third edition (1989) that you're welcome to borrow. (I doubt that the installation of tar & gravel roofs has changed much in the last 20 years.)

I've got a short inspection in Dayton in the morning and another short one in Wilsonville in the afternoon. You could meet me at either of those places or we could set up a time & place between or after those appointments. If you're interested, call me at 503 985-7543.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

From your post, it sounds like a new roof so this post may be no help.

Tar and gravel is fairly common around here but most are older. What I see most frequently is leakage at the perimeter drip edge (gravel-stop). The underlying built up roofing doesen't seem the adhere real well to the metal. You may see staining or dryrot at the eaves or interior of the fascia. Usually there has been leakage at the chimney flashing. The gravel is important for UV protection so there shouldn't be any bare spots. I always note (in bold) that I can't see the acual roofing due to the gravel coating, leaks can be difficult to track down and repair, expect eventual leakage at the perimeter, have flashings re-sealed regularly, re-spread gravel annually, patching should be considered a temporary measure at best.

• 1 year later...

Only my 2nd gravel roof in 3 years. House built in 1954 with one owner, who just passed away. I told my customer the roof covering needs to be redone. The sections I could see (along the edges) are in poor condition, there should not be this much standing water (rained 2 daze ago) and it will be expensive.

Do you agree that this roof should be completly replaced? How is it done? Just fishing for a 2nd opinion and more info on gravel roofs.

Thanks

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 1.jpg

94.34 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 2.jpg

94.64 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 3.jpg

98.68 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 4.jpg

94.85 KB

Originally posted by Brandon Whitmore

I have an inspection on a home with a tar and gravel roof coming up on Tues. Does anyone know of any good sites where I can brush up on installation details prior to my inspection?

Thanks

Check out NRCA University; you'll pay a little more than an NRCA member but there's probably no more credible source for roof info in the country than NRCA.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike