Possible trap primer line

Chris Bernhardt

I found this copper tubing in a garage protruding from the slab adjacent to the water heater. There is a floor drain a few feet away. No fuel oil residue or odor at the line. I think it's to prime the trap.

How do you write this up? Have a plumber reconnect the garage floor drain trap primer piping?

Image Insert:

200771923144_jse_IMG_1768.jpg

51.9 KB

Chris, Oregon

Originally posted by Chris Bernhardt

I found this copper tubing in a garage protruding from the slab adjacent to the water heater. There is a floor drain a few feet away. No fuel oil residue or odor at the line. I think it's to prime the trap.

How do you write this up? Have a plumber reconnect the garage floor drain trap primer piping?

Before I'd call that a trap primer, I'd figure out a way to squirt some water into it and see if the water comes out in the trap.

It sure looks exactly like an oil line.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Terence McCann

I don't think that's a trap primer Chris. I've never seen a trap primer up here except for commercial HVAC applications where the trap is buried in a chase. Have you seen many in your neck of the woods?

Trap primers are very common here, particulary in the basements of older homes. Most of them are disconnected. I've never seen one in a garage.

- Jim Katen, Oregon