New roof

Jeepers

My new roof is about 1/2 installed (front half and two end gables) and when we were looking at the roof this a.m., we noticed it has diagonal streaking about every 2-3' going across the roof. We don't like the way it looks, very unattractive. These asphalt shingles are Tamko 25 year grade. Do you know if there is a way these streaks can be fixed without tearing off the whole roof and starting over? We have a big house.

I just looked at 25 year Tamko online and they look like very "plain Jane" 3-tab shingles.

http://www.tamko.com/ProductDisplayPage ... fault.aspx

Regular "diagonal steaking" sounds like something that must have occured during the manufacturing process.

So, the question is "Is it permanent or will it wash off in the first rain?"

I think I speak for most here when I say "I haven't a clue!" given the limited information.

If there's a professional roofer involved then, of course, he would be your first choice for info (and satisfaction). If this is a DIY job, then I recommend you contact Tamko at 800-641-4691 or, perhaps, the dealer.

I have no idea what diagonal streaking is, but I'm guessing it's color variation in the shingle packs.

When shingles are installed, they are laid out in a manner that has the installer working in a diagonal pattern across the roof; the different colors in the shingle packs make it look like diagonal lines of slightly different color.

Is that what you mean? Do you have a photo to post?

Wow, they still install 3-tab [:-crazy]. All the shingles butt together in a diagonal pattern, the seams show from certain angles as a diagonal "streak". The shingles themselves are about 3 feet wide, hence the 3 foot pattern. It's the nature of the beast - as far as I can tell without a picture.

Image Insert:

2007723125054_IMG_0039_1.jpg

115.38 KB

Here is a picture of lines in roof speaking of. I guess this is way they should look??? Roofer says black line will fade with heating of roof. Hope he is right. This picture doesn't show up too good, lines are much darker.

Ahhh, that's what you mean by "streaking". Not what I was imagining at all.

So Jeepers...the ends of each 3-tab section are notched so that when butted together they have a similar gap to the two between the tabs. That's the theory. I'm guessing that the end-notches on these particulat shingles are slightly oversized and the result is a noticable difference every third "gap" as they stagger up the roof. It's purely cosmetic, but I have to agree it's pretty damn ugly. I don't know that that will go away!

Send the photo to the manufacturer and ask them if this is "normal".

That's exactly what I was trying to describe.

It's not a defect (unless there is some fine tuned thing I can't see from a photo), and it isn't going to go away.

There will be an ever so slight bit of fading, but it may not make any difference in the look.

All it signifies is a slight color variation between shingle packs; maybe someone got some lot #'s mixed up(?)....

roofer did just what they were supposed to do - run a "stair-step" up the roof. Problem is they have a mish-mash of lot numbers. Just my humble opinion. Won't go away until you sell the house or get a crick in your neck and don't look up. Photo chemical reaction will be equal on equal surface. Roofer should know exactly what happened and the TAMKO rep will agree and not do anything. Again, just my opinion.

The real problem is nary a living soul reads the instructions on shingle packs. An astute roofer would have mixed and booked the shingles and you never would have seen the streaks.

Better read your contract/agreement.

BTW, a few of us will be in Springfield in Sept and I understand Mike O is renting a Hummer limo so we can cruise the neighborhood - you might just see a bunch of characters in your front lawn!

good luck.

Les, if you are in town (we live in country, really) just come on out and I will be glad to show you my new psychedelic roof. ha. I will look for the Hummer.

In all seriousness, thanks to all who answered me, you were great help. I spoke with my pro. roofer today and told him my concerns (he didn't understand-they all look that way??) will look at roof in 3 months and if still not satisfied, will get Tamko out here and try to get those shingles replaced.

Originally posted by Jeepers

Les, if you are in town (we live in country, really) just come on out and I will be glad to show you my new psychedelic roof. ha. I will look for the Hummer.

In all seriousness, thanks to all who answered me, you were great help. I spoke with my pro. roofer today and told him my concerns (he didn't understand-they all look that way??) will look at roof in 3 months and if still not satisfied, will get Tamko out here and try to get those shingles replaced.

The shingles do expand and settle down in the heat. But in your climate, I'd expect that to happen over the course of a few days. If you still see the stairstep gaps after a week, they ain't going away.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Les

The real problem is nary a living soul reads the instructions on shingle packs. An astute roofer would have mixed and booked the shingles and you never would have seen the streaks.

Yes - an astute roofer would have mixed the shingles to avoid the repeating pattern.

No - it won't be in the instructions on the bundle wrapper.

The manufacturer will not be replacing that roof.