atypical splice

Is anyone aware of any splices allowed for use with 12 or 14 gauge wire besides the standard junction box?

The home I looked at today had a clear plastic in line splice that was rectangular shaped to where you could see the wires pushed against each other at the 2 ends of the wire. I took a picture, but the flash pretty much ruined it, and of course I did not realize this until I got home.

It was on a 1991 home (not modular or manufactured) where it looks like the installer of a recent drainage system installation performed the wiring himself. The splice device looks pretty good-- I just wish I could remember what it said on it once I got out of the crawlspace so I could look it up.

I called a couple electricians who could not figure out what it was from my description....

We're working blind here, but it sounds more like a variation on a connector than a substitute for a junction box. I would just say it was an unusual connector I wasn't familiar with, and unless someone can prove otherwise it probably should be in a junction box.

Brian G.

Put the Ball in Their Court [:-boggled

Originally posted by Brandon Whitmore

Is anyone aware of any splices allowed for use with 12 or 14 gauge wire besides the standard junction box?

The home I looked at today had a clear plastic in line splice that was rectangular shaped to where you could see the wires pushed against each other at the 2 ends of the wire. I took a picture, but the flash pretty much ruined it, and of course I did not realize this until I got home.

Here are some pictures of the splices that Bill mentioned. They've been used forever on manufactured homes to make electrical connections between the halves of a home after it's placed on site.

There are versions made by AMP and Molex.

As far as I can tell, they're legal. Check out:

http://www.ampnetconnect.com/product_cu ... =111637702

Note that these are considered splices, not connectors. Once you put one together, you're not supposed to take it apart and put it together again.

I'm not sure why we don't see these more often. Perhaps the local code officals take a dim view of them.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Image Insert:

2007725101722_MH_Elec_Conn_1.jpg

130.49 KB

Image Insert:

200772510196_MH_Elec_Conn_2.jpg

72.3 KB