Gas log flame response time after gas is on

I don't know if there is a spec somewhere but I flipped the switch on the wall and was writing a few things down and I looked at the FP and no flame. I could hear the gas pretty strong and just as I went to turn the swithch off, poof! Big burst of flame, then normal fire. I cut it off, waited a little and thought I'd count how long before flames were visible... got to 10 then shut the switch off before a fire started. I would think it should start nearly right away but is there a spec somewhere so that I know in the future?

Originally posted by Chris Bernhardt

The number I heard was no more than 4 seconds from a gas fireplace technician but I don't recall why or what the source of the 4 second limit was. Mr. Katen might know he was there too.

Chris, Oregon

Thanks. Good enough. I kind of like the big flash myself but it may scare some folks.

Originally posted by Jerry Simon

Originally posted by Chris Bernhardt

Mr. Katen might know he was there too.

Chris, Oregon

I hope he knows if he was there or not...

Mr. Katen thanks Mr. Simon for the vote of confidence.

Yes. Tim Solomon from Tester Fireplaces said that delayed ignition beyond 4 seconds was a problem. But he didn't cite a source.

Sounds about right to me. If the ignition is delayed enough to cause a whomp when it ignites, that's a serious problem.

Mr. Solomon said that the delayed ignition could be caused by a mis-adjusted burner, spider webs, or a collection of soot (soot indicates problems with the air-gas mixture or with impingement).

Delayed ignition can cause an explosion large enough to shatter the glass fronts on those things.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Jim Katen

Delayed ignition can cause an explosion large enough to shatter the glass fronts on those things.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Hi,

Most of the ones I see have a pair of heavy metal flappers with fiberglass seals on the top of the firebox. They're closed and sealed by weight. However, if there's a delayed ignition and a flash, they act like pressure relief valves to allow all of that expanded air to escape the box without shattering the frontglass.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike