water heater TPR question

ctgo4it

Hi all,

I've never seen anything like this. The TPR outlet has a plug in it, and the TPR valve is installed on the water line. I know there's no extension on it, I just want to know about the placement. Has anyone seen this, and is it ok?

Sorry the pics aren't that clear, I took them with my phone

Image Insert:

20079246742_IMG00046.jpg

114.57 KB

Image Insert:

20079246835_IMG00047.jpg

78.15 KB

Image Insert:

20079246919_IMG00048.jpg

124.95 KB

No it won't, it'll just spray all over the place because there's no discharge line on it. That is, if it vents.

It's wrong because the probe isn't in the tank. It's wrong because they don't have a discharge pipe on it. If those are galvanized components - can't tell, the color's displays a little weird on my monitor - it's wrong because those nipples should have been dielectric types.

Plumbers around here used to install lots of them on the discharge line, especially in homes with basements. I think some knew that they were wrong, because they'd install a properly spec'd TPR on the side or top of the water heater with a short discharge pipe that would vent into the home if it blew, and then they'll install a second TPR valve that's designed to pop off at 125° on the hot water line up between the floor joists with a pipe that vents to the outside. I guess their reasoning was that the one on the line will blow and vent to the outside before the tank goes critical and they've got the one on the tank as insurance in case it doesn't.

It's just wrong. Write it.

OT - OF!!!

M.

It is wrong. Even if the probe is "long" enough, the probe is designed to operate on a single temp area; water in the tank.

Everyone above is correct, plus it is just plain silly commonsense wise!

You will never forget the event, if you ever are present when one discharges!

He said the TPR outlet has a plug in it. In that case there is no protection at all no matter how it is installed. Pressure could build until the tank blows.

No...it would still release pressure. There's no check valves on the nipples. Pressure isn't really the issue here.

The IRC wording is "installed so that the temperature sensing element monitors the water within the top 6" of the tank."

I bought these two TPR valves as visual aids a few years back. One's a Watts (I think the other is a Wilkens).

Image Insert:

2007924163238_TPRvalves002.jpg

143.59 KB

Anyway, they are "typical" valves and as you can see the sensor only extends about 3¼" below the threads. I don't think that would make it into the tank in the original photo. So...what others have said. It's just wrong. Judging from the photos they probably need a new water heater anyway!

On the bright side, at least they installed it on the hot side (are all water heaters oriented that way?) and not effectively in the dip tube on the cold side.

Originally posted by Scottpat

Since that tank has a side port, it needs to be installed at that point or at the top port that would be for the anode rod.

Hi Scott,

Not sure that's accurate. I've looked at a lot of these, just as you have, and what I see is a lot of brands that have both a top port and a side port, in addition to an anode rod.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Originally posted by homnspector

They make them with probes as long as 8 inches.

I didn't know that! Do now. I checked the Watts site and, sure enough, some models have a version that has an 8" "extension thermostat". Here's the wording from the attached tag of the one I have...(my bold)

"Combination temperatue and pressure relief valves with extension thermostats must be installed so that the temperature-sensing element is immersed in the water in the top 6" (152mm) of the water storage tank. They must be installed either in the the hot outlet service line or directly in a tank tapping. Combination temperatue and pressure relief valves that do not have extension elements must be mounted directly in a tank tapping located within the top 6" (152mm) of the water storage tank. ..."

So...the one in the original photo may actually be just fine after all (ignoring all else that's wrong). I don't know if you could tell if it's an "extended" model. Watts model number on the top disc of the one I have is SL100XL. The extended model supposedly would be SL100XL-8 but I don't know if that would actually be on the label. I'll check next time I pass a plumbing store. And...I also don't know about other manufacturers.

In conclusion...I've learnt something today, which is always a good thing!

Originally posted by Jim Katen

Originally posted by AHI

He said the TPR outlet has a plug in it. In that case there is no protection at all no matter how it is installed. Pressure could build until the tank blows.

He means that the tapping in the tank has a plug in it, not the tapping in the TPR valve.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Ok I got it now....thanks.