How old is this boiler???

Brad Manor

Originally posted by Brad Manor

Came across this unit today and I'm trying to get an idea of its approximate age.

I know its old, I'm just curious how old.

Thanks guys,

-Brad

Train of thought:

It looks too small to be from the teens or twenties.

Somewhere in the early 50's the jackets became less rounded and more squarish.

There wasn't a whole lot of building going on from 1929 to 1942 becuse of the depression. (Or is that not true for Canada?)

That would make it slightly post war. Let's say 1946-1953.

How old was the house?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Coal was pretty much gone around here by the 40s. Some working class neighbourhoods had coal until the 50s. Most houses from that era were on piped in oil. My own house, from the 20s shows signs of Windsors HVAC evolution: coal bin (now a cold room), oil stub, patches in the hardwood where the returns for the gravity furnace were, and now a high eff, furnace.

-Brad

Well, I am not in agreement with the others. That unit looks to be mid-teens. Viking, Crane are a couple of clues. Viking was pretty much gone in mid thirties and Crane became the brand. Windsor and Detroit are nearly the same for technology.

I remember installing that one; nice family on the southeast side of town. They had a black german shepard dog.

Originally posted by Brad Manor

Coal was pretty much gone around here by the 40s. Some working class neighbourhoods had coal until the 50s. Most houses from that era were on piped in oil. My own house, from the 20s shows signs of Windsors HVAC evolution: coal bin (now a cold room), oil stub, patches in the hardwood where the returns for the gravity furnace were, and now a high eff, furnace.

-Brad

I'm on the "boiler dosen't match the house" side. at least in my area it wouldn't. May have been a left over from the bargain bin that some builder got a deal on... I'd say it was made in the late 20's - early thirties at the latest.

Now to the thread splitter. - Did you say piped in oil??? as in supplied from the street?