Roof Certs are Scams!

Originally posted by hausdok

What's next, companies called "Caulk and Sell" that will come in and goop up the exterior to keep out rain when the siding needs to be replaced?

Probably. Remember, real estate is about selling, not buying.

I suppose there will be a certain segment of bottom-feeding inspectors that will endorse that too.

Jeez.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

If you build it, they will come.

What's next, companies called "Caulk and Sell" that will come in and goop up the exterior to keep out rain when the siding needs to be replaced?

I'm sure they are working on Cert-a-siding, as well as Cert-a-rusty-furnace, Cert-a-obsolete-wiring-system, and Cert-a-rotted-deck just to name a few.

One sample page from the website (with added comments)...

Picking Up Where the drive-by Home Inspection Report Stops

The vast majority of home sales include a home inspection report. Almost no home inspectors, however, include definitive disclosures on the condition of the roof. (we don't?) Instead, to avoid the potential liability inherent in inspecting the roof from the ground (because we hate those...umm..ladder thingies), home inspectors typically (?) include language in their reports deferring roof evaluation to an on-the-roof inspection by a roofing professional. (yes, occasionally. But the emphasis is on a roofing professional.)

Many (?) home inspectors recommend Cert-A-Roof because we provide quality, affordable roof inspection and roof certification services. Our patent-pending inspection process takes the odds of undetected problems to the lowest levels in the industry, resulting in the highest possible confidence. (no idea what that means) Home inspectors (realtors) also appreciate that we specialize in identifying and performing roof repairs as necessary to bring the roof up to the level of condition necessary to certify the roof for two years. (using only the best caulk, goop, and peel-and-seal)

Inspection Report..."The roof has three layers, the last of which is in very poor condition with cracked and curled shingles. The protective granular covering has worn off in most areas. There are areas that have been poorly patched with a variety of materials. All flashings are incorrect and have, instead, been heavily caulked. This roof needs to be replaced now. In fact, it should have been completely stripped and re-covered 10 years ago."

Seller and agents (in unison)..."But we have a two year, leak-free certification."

Buyer..."Oh, well that's OK then!?!" [:-boggled

Mike, I'm with you. I'd be disgusted if an inspector recommend this.

Kurt wrote: Patent-Pending inspection processes?

I think the "-" mean some words have be left out between the "Patent" and "Pending".

The full version goes something like this; A PATENT Leather shoe wearing, slicked back hair grease ball that just got out of the PEN is about to DING someone out of their hard earned cash. Most home buyers should be able to read between the lines--NOT!

Ezra Malernee

Canton, Ohio

Originally posted by chicago

I do know I wish I'd thought of the idea.

What idea? He didn't think of it first. If you want to do this there's nothing stopping you from doing it. There are plenty of guys on speed dial for the reel-tours around here who will show up and cert a roof at the drop of a hat. I'm sure they have them in Chicago too.

There have been folks helping pushy listing agents and buyer's agents convince folks to purchase houses with borderline components for years. He's not the first to do it and and he's certainly not going to be the last.

I busted my chops mentoring a guy into this business a few years ago, only to see him walk away from it and start fixing stuff for agents in order to help them push their deals through. He figured there was more money in helping them facilitate their deals than there was inspecting homes for buyers. He was probably right.

If you want to make a living doing that, I'm sure there's plenty of work out there for you. Just realize that there's some folks that think anyone that would plaster lipstick on a pig and call it something else doesn't really care about the folks they're trying to stick the pig with. I'm one of them.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike