Price Shoppers

Jerry Simon

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This 100% correct. I too have fallen on the "tire kickers" train. 8 calls in the past two weeks. At first I blamed price, but then I then I changed the way I was holding my head...

Good for you, Ben. Government General Motors spent an assload of money driving that though my head for the eleven years I spent out of the trades.

I wouldn't trade that education for anything. Including all of the stupid ass pancake breakfasts with Lou Holtz, or some other bigshot cheerleading our hung over heads on.

FTR, there's an inspector who frequents this forum that witnessed a call I booked in the manor I described. He also watched me call the guy back with the price. Didn't you? I'm not the greatest salesman that ever came down the pike, by a long shot.

It works. Try it. Good luck.

. . . I wonder what would happen if we told the callers to name their price for what they are willing to pay for a quality inspection?

I've been doing something like that for years. If someone questions my price, I'll sometimes (not always) say, "I'll tell you what. Book the inspection with me for $xxx.xx. That's what I think the inspection is worth. After the inspection, if you feel that my fee is out of line, you can pay me whatever you think it's worth." I've never had anyone try to pay me less.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

[:-thumbu]

. . . I wonder what would happen if we told the callers to name their price for what they are willing to pay for a quality inspection?

I've been doing something like that for years. If someone questions my price, I'll sometimes (not always) say, "I'll tell you what. Book the inspection with me for $xxx.xx. That's what I think the inspection is worth. After the inspection, if you feel that my fee is out of line, you can pay me whatever you think it's worth." I've never had anyone try to pay me less.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Interesting but I can't do that here in Louisiana. We're required by the state to get the client's signature on a contract that discloses, among other things, the price of the inspection. It has to be signed before the inspection begins.

Marc

Us too. I ask them to sign the contract at my quoted fee. But I offer them the option of naming their discount when it comes time to pay.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• 2 weeks later...