"California STucco"

pete

I have a cousin who is in contract for a house in NJ. He recently showed me elevations and they showed Stucco. I told him the little I know about EIFS and recommended that he consult an eifs inspector and consider having it inspected (during construction and at the completion). He contacted the builder and below is what they had to say. Do any of you guys know about this stuff? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Pete

"Thanks Peter. I spoke with the head builder at Pulte Totowa after our talk and he was keenly aware of the problem and said that they do not use EIFS. They use "California Stucco" and have had no problems and have been using the stuff for like 6-8 years."

He's probably talking hard coat stucco. Determine what the substrate material is, how the install flashing, weep screeds, etc.

Good stucco is about substrate, flashing details, & weep screeds (for the most part).

The fact that it is a P--te home gives a negative slant to the possibilities.

Originally posted by pete

I have a cousin who is in contract for a house in NJ. He recently showed me elevations and they showed Stucco. I told him the little I know about EIFS and recommended that he consult an eifs inspector and consider having it inspected (during construction and at the completion). He contacted the builder and below is what they had to say. Do any of you guys know about this stuff? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Pete

"Thanks Peter. I spoke with the head builder at Pulte Totowa after our talk and he was keenly aware of the problem and said that they do not use EIFS. They use "California Stucco" and have had no problems and have been using the stuff for like 6-8 years."

I'd like to echo everything that Kurt said and add this: Around here, there are just as many problems with hardcoat stucco as there are with EIFS. The problem with both is that the workers who install the stuff don't have the necessary knowledge to do the job properly. One of the most vexing aspects of the dilemma is that they think they know what they're doing. They are, in fact convinced that they are masters of the trade.

My best advice to your cousin is to treat Pulte like an enemy in warfare. (And not a particularly honorable one at that.) He should visit the site and take pictures every day. He should hire his own inspector, not just for the stucco, but for the whole job. He should meet and make friends with the local municipal inspectors and make it clear to them that, on this house, he wants Pulte's feet held to the fire of the code till they squeal.

I'll bet that the head builder's statement that they "have had no problems . . . for like 6-8 years (with "California stucco")" is a dirty lie and it should be pretty easy to prove.

Let him think on that when he's tempted to get timid with them.

- Jim Katen, Oregon