Whose Siding is This?

randynavarro

You could go by Plywood Supply occasionally and see if they've got any of the various siding products on the damaged stuff heap and ask them if you could have a little piece for comparison purposes. Get a plastic tie, drill a hole in the corners, hook them all together with the tie, and keep them on your truck.

Jeez, did I just say that - I could have been manufacturing these danged things and selling them on the net. By next week, I'd have enough money to start my own new home inspection association. I've been considering:

Superior Home Inspectors Technical Training Institute - S.H.I.T.T.I. - waddayu guys think?

Whoops, sorry, Randy. I drifted for a bit there. I'm back on track now, though. Eeeeehaaawwwwww! (I'd probably actually be enjoying myself if I were a drinker. Oh well.)

OT - OF!!!

M.

I couldn't tell from your second pic Randy, but the tell tale I use for Weyerhaeuser is knots 61" apart. But it sure looks like Collinswood TruWood, esp. if only half inch thick - I believe was the replacement for the before 2000 Wyhser siding that was in class action. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on the eras.

Mainly responding here to give this link that shows tons of pics with knots, mainly of Masonite, but some of Truwood and Forestex. These are all hardboard products, wood fiber, but that's tough to tell without munchn on some.

http://www.mastercodeprofessional.com/H ... ing_ID.pdf

Thanks Dave.

I'm pretty versed in the "new" generation of Weyerhaeuser stuff, and this isn't it.

In my photos, the knot in the first photo is the only real distinctive mark on the boards. That, and the 5/16" edge thickness. I'm still thinking Collinswood, but even the photos in the link you posted don't quite match.

Oh well, report's done by now. I told 'em I didn't know who made it and they'll need to contact an "expert" becasue there's some funky stuff going on with it.

Randy didn't know if you had a look at the knot patterns. I mentioned 61" as this was/is the repeating pattern for both Weyerhaeuser and the pup company product. yes, its hard sometimes to identify all of em correctly, to even know all of them. Then, I simply identify the siding as engineered wood, espouse on potentials for failure and maintenance required, finish the report and say good night, as you have.

Originally posted by dbyers

I couldn't tell from your second pic Randy, but the tell tale I use for Weyerhaeuser is knots 61" apart. But it sure looks like Collinswood TruWood, esp. if only half inch thick - I believe was the replacement for the before 2000 Wyhser siding that was in class action. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on the eras.

Mainly responding here to give this link that shows tons of pics with knots, mainly of Masonite, but some of Truwood and Forestex. These are all hardboard products, wood fiber, but that's tough to tell without munchn on some.

http://www.mastercodeprofessional.com/H ... ing_ID.pdf

Thank you for contributing the PDF. That goes in the live well.

I was wrong, turns out Collinswood is not owned by Weyerh. The company bought the Weyerh plant that made Weyerh hardboard siding in 1996. Weyerh, since then (1996) has distributed the product for Collins, which in 2000 changed siding name to TruWood. I spoke w/ tech at Collinswood who advised there were no major changes to the product, and that only three tenths of a percent have claims, going back to the late 90's. He was a bit denfencive about the CA suit. One change has been a sharper angle on drip edge.