Any HIs using Apple computers out there?

I'm a dedicated Apple user getting into the HI business. Most of the reporting software packages out there seem to be for Windows,

Does anybody use a Mac and have any recommendations for a report package.

(I've Googled and there are programs for the Mac but I want to know from someone with hands on experience.)

I too have been looking for report software for the Mac. My biggest reason is I've never had a Mac machine crash or go in for repairs. I've been using them for almost 20 years. I have just upgraded to a new dual core and I expect I will install Window XP on it so I can try a few more systems out there. I would love to know what programs are File Maker based because I am told they can be easily recompiled to run native on a Mac. I'm no computer expert so it's not something I can do, but I heard it from someone who was a File Maker Pro consultant and built programs about 6 years ago. Six years can be an eternity in software years though.

Rick Sabatino

Originally posted by RickSab

I have just upgraded to a new dual core and I expect I will install Window XP on it so I can try a few more systems out there.

Rick Sabatino

You can operate your dual core either with parallels (program of choice) or with bootcamp, (free from apple). But with bootcamp you have to restart to use it. There are some open source programs out there that run as if they were word, and these programs are free. NeoOffice is one I use. All the goodies in Word for Mac but available in a free download.

Originally posted by RickSab

I would love to know what programs are File Maker based because I am told they can be easily recompiled to run native on a Mac. I'm no computer expert so it's not something I can do, but I heard it from someone who was a File Maker Pro consultant and built programs about 6 years ago. Six years can be an eternity in software years though.

Rick Sabatino

Filemaker is transparent across platforms. Someone can give you a PC version on a disk, load it in a Mac, double click, and it opens just the same. It doesn't have to be recompiled or anything else.

Filemaker is amazing. Don't think it only does what they tell you in the (very basic) Users Manual. There's major corporations (GM, Genentech, etc. I mean major) that use it for big chunks of their internal operations.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A fellow HI in the Dallas market does all his work on the Mac platform. He also does work with graphics/images as another side line and that was the main support for his Mac.

Those new devices coming out are certainly interesting. I've heard that the new device being touted however is "not up to snuff". That is what I heard this past weekend at an inspection conference here in Texas.

Our software, Home Inspector Pro runs natively on a Mac. The templates and inspection reports are also interchangeable with users of the windows software. You can download a trial on our site and see if you like it. Click live chat or give me a call if you have any questions.

On a side note, Mac has finally allowed a 3rd party to create a Mac based tablet. The device even has built in GPS. You can check it out here: http://www.axiotron.com/ . They have so many orders though that they are back ordered a month. If anyone gets their hands on one, let me know, I'd like to know how well it works!

Although I do not use an Apple computer, I do use Home Inspector Pro software and am very happy with it. I find it very customizable and easily adaptable to my needs and style of report writing.

Although it sets up and performs like a check list, it also is narrative friendly. It is constantly being improved and I, just like every other user of the program is involved in it's development.

Since I admittedly am a computer dinosaur, another important part of the program that I find extremely valuable is the support. Dom has responded to my cries for help at all hours on all days. When he isn't in the office, rarely does it take more than a few minutes to receive a call back from him. Sometimes the call would come while he was driving or having dinner... but it always came.

I recently built a new website with him. It's only a few weeks old and already ranks #1 when I do a search in ANY area that I have targeted. My original website never showed up at all.