What ya thunk?

sepefrio

As you can see, some of the concrete has failed. But is that enough to write up and a major discrepancy or just something to keep an eye on? All the others were in perfect condition. Also, the other three sides of this same pier were in good condition. Thanks.

Image Insert:

2008313134559_Pier.jpg

421.87 KB

That looks like that block has been cut. I would definitely note it so that my clients know about it. As for repairing it, I don't really think it is going to cause a problem but you never know. So just to protect myself as the inspector, I would note the cut block and report that it needs to be evaluated by an engineer or simply replaced.

Truth be known it would most likely be cheaper to replace it!

What is that pier for? What is it holding up? I see a floor joist running next to it. Where on the top of the pier is the load applied? Is the pier leaning or were you leaning when you shot the photo? Is it really "failed" or as Scott said, was an edge of the block cut off? What's going on with that mortar smeared on the left side of the pier, opposite the side with the notch?

I'd like more info but I'm leaning toward not worrying about it. If it is loaded on the top of the pier near its center, like it is supposed to be, I don't see that notch as deep enough to cause a problem. You're not in a seismic area are you? If you are worried about it, just fix it -- no need for an engineer unless you want one to determine the cause of failure. Fill the notch with some concrete grout or tear the pier down to the good part and build it back up again. Either is an easy fix.

Woops didn't see your question Brandon, and Mike wins a prize (please see Les to get your prize), it is for the chimney. A note on that too, the fireplace insert has been removed and the wall patched over, there is no fireplace anymore. There is a chimney stack and the gas hot water heater and furnace vent into it in he attic.

Well now you know why I had so many questions about that "pier" when "all the others were in perfect condition". For a pier, it didn't look right.

If they converted a wood-burning masonry chimney to use with a gas water heater & furnace, I hope you were able to get a good look inside at the flue or vent, or if not, you should recommend a Level 2 inspection and review of the vent system by a CSIA certified sweep. Very often this kind of conversion is done without proper modification of the chimney flue for the new gas equipment. The cooler exhaust temperature from the gas appliances causes condensation inside the flue. The condensation has nitric and sulfuric acid in it that turns masonry to mush and eats through metal.