Going IR

davidlord

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by kurt

There's still snow and ice sitting on flat roofs around here.

Damn you......

I also worked today. Had to drive about 30 miles. All the way there I'm looking at roofs and thinking "at least the snow has melted". Then, the last 500 yards or so, everything, including my job, looked like this.

Image Insert:

200832920020_080329M3.jpg

119.76 KB

When I left, heavy hail was coming down. An hour later, I'm sitting in the sun on my back deck. A long way from hot, but quite pleasant. Screwy!

Originally posted by davidlord

I'm going to see how effective it is for locating termites. I was talking to my pest control company partner today and told him that the next infestation he found I would go over and scan for termites.

I would think there would need to be a large concentration in one spot to pick them up but it sounds like good marketing material.

Be careful, NO infrared camera will pick up termites. Termites do not give off any body heat. When you use any IR camera all you can find are anomalies conducive to termite activity. Your camera can see moisture from mud tubes or a carton nest but will not see the termites. You will need a Termatrac, AED or a sniffer to see if there is any activity.

Originally posted by Jim Katen

I think I'm going with the Fluke. I really like the Fusion. . . .

Which one and why?

TiR - $4,495

TiR1 - $6,995

Ti10 - $4,495

Ti25 - $7495

??

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I would go with the TiR1.

The TiR and Ti10 is not as sensitive and comes up short when trying to find more detail in the images.

The Ti25 is more camera than you need for the average home inspection it is identical to the TiR1 except it goes to a higher temp which is OK if you do mostly electrical room inspections.

I'm not relying on the IR cam to pick up termites. I just think it would be interesting to see exactly what it will sense. Termites are cold blooded but some heat is generated as bacteria digest the cellulose they have eaten.

I've got the best termite guy around and I won't be replacing him with a camera.

The only (potential) downside of the TiR is the battery life conundrum.

Warga insisted that this is a huge issue, and he reiterated huge many times. He's the only guy I know that has used a number of cameras on a daily basis for the last year and a half. It's become his primary business.

I don't honestly think there's all that much difference between cameras. The Flir folks say Flir and the Fluke folks say Fluke. Warga says they're all good cameras.

Someone get the TiR and let us know. As far as everything else, it's the camera (at least right now, anyway).

The Tir will be at my front door sometime today. I told my wife to be sure and don't miss the UPS guy.

I sit in on a webinar (by Fluke) yesterday afternoon discussing the Ti series. For building diagnostics they recommended the TiR or the Tir1. About the only difference between the two are that there are several more on camera features on the TiR1. The interesting thing is that the software will allow you to perform those same features on the TiR you just don't have them on the camera.

For and extra $2000.00 I will make any adjustments with the software.

As for the battery life I specfically asked the presenter that very question. He told me the units were designed to provide 4 hours of continous run time and that even on large jobs you won't approach 4 hours of continuos use. I know the guy is biased but we will see.

I paid $4495 from Inspector Tools and that includes 2 hours of phone training (I'll be an expert after that right), free camera rental if mine is in the shop, and discounted calibration service. I also got them to throw in a car charger. I found the camera cheaper (4045.00) at another vendor but they didn't stock it and there were no extra's.

Whats the resolution on the fluke? I have tried to look at sugar ants but they are too small. I have concluded it's probably impossible to see moving insects with the Bcam.

The other day I found some carpenter ant evidence up in the attic of this house adjacent to the garage. When I scanned the walls of the garage in the area I found this curious warm spot. It was colder then crap that day and I didn't find any reflections or charges that might be causing it. I came back the next day to look at the spot again and it was gone.

It has been one of my concerns all of long, that if I can't substantiate the anomaly by some other secondary means then what do you do? I think that if you were to mention it and recommend further investigation you would be wrong about anything being important there 99% of the time.

Chris, Oregon

Originally posted by Chris Bernhardt

I think that if you were to mention it and recommend further investigation you would be wrong about anything being important there 99% of the time.

Chris, Oregon

Yup.

The danger of IR in HI work, summarized perfectly.

Originally posted by Chris Bernhardt

Whats the resolution on the fluke? I have tried to look at sugar ants but they are too small. I have concluded it's probably impossible to see moving insects with the Bcam.

The other day I found some carpenter ant evidence up in the attic of this house adjacent to the garage. When I scanned the walls of the garage in the area I found this curious warm spot. It was colder then crap that day and I didn't find any reflections or charges that might be causing it. I came back the next day to look at the spot again and it was gone.

Size isn't the prob, the ants do not leave a heat signature so any IR camera will not see them, especially the Bcam ,don't like it-sorry:(

Carpenter ants will not give off heat, sometimes on a good day with the right camera you can pick up the air trapped in the galleries, but no ants. If it was cold you might have picked up a critter seeking refuge for the weather and when you went back they had left - maybe.

Image Insert:

20084193726_termite%20gallery%20in%20stud.jpg

6.26 KB

Termite gallery in stud.

Image Insert:

20084193859_2005-02-01-TUE-12-14-53-033.jpg

10.78 KB

Rodent in wall.

The Tir will be at my front door sometime today. I told my wife to be sure and don't miss the UPS guy.

I sit in on a webinar (by Fluke) yesterday afternoon discussing the Ti series. For building diagnostics they recommended the TiR or the Tir1. About the only difference between the two are that there are several more on camera features on the TiR1. The interesting thing is that the software will allow you to perform those same features on the TiR you just don't have them on the camera.

For and extra $2000.00 I will make any adjustments with the software.

As for the battery life I specfically asked the presenter that very question. He told me the units were designed to provide 4 hours of continous run time and that even on large jobs you won't approach 4 hours of continuos use. I know the guy is biased but we will see.

I paid $4495 from Inspector Tools and that includes 2 hours of phone training (I'll be an expert after that right), free camera rental if mine is in the shop, and discounted calibration service. I also got them to throw in a car charger. I found the camera cheaper (4045.00) at another vendor but they didn't stock it and there were no extra's.

The TiR1 has higher NETD's making the camera more sensitive than the TiR camera. I personally prefer to have those adjustments "real time" and not have to wait to download the pics to my laptop to find things I couldn't see during the inspection. Also the TiR1 has two more color choices in the palettes menu, On-screen emissivity correction, hot and cold markers and voice recording capability.

I usually have clients looking over my shoulder when I am looking at a trouble spot they pointed out and they appreciate the fact that they are included in the procedure.

In windsurfing, the first guy out is always referred to as the "wind dummy". We all wait to rig to see if their sail selection and adjustment is correct for a given condition. Wind dummies, contrary to how the name sounds, are always treated w/profound respect, as their sacrifice allows the rest of the tribe to make a more educated decision.

David, you're the IR dummy. My deepest respect, and I anxiously await your findings.

Originally posted by hausdok

Kurt,

Wind dummies have been used for years by airborne forces. Typically a dufflebag full of old harnesses and stuff that the jumpmaster polices up later on.

OT - OF!!!

M.

I know. That's where we got the term.

I'm not sure about that dog, though. I'm think it needs additional evaluation by a competent and licensed dog expert....

That's actually heat from the fridge.

Dummy, probe, strainer bait aka chum. I can feel the love.

I haven't had much play time yet but this thing is way cool.

My morning inspection tomorrow is a vacant house so I will get to play around a little. The clients will be attending my afternoon inspection so I will probably leave it in the truck unless I find something I can show them that won't make me look like an idiot with a new toy.

I really don't think you have to be an genius to use one of these things for building diagnostics.

I found a new use for mine yesterday.

Monday evening I noticed some bees hanging around one side of my house and they were going in between the brick and and the upper cladding.

Tuesday morning after I called the exterminator I tried the IR just to see what I could see. Sure enough. It showed the exact location - a hot spot about the size of a football. A triangulation of views showed them to be between floors. Shortly after the exterminator did his thing, we cut about 2 square foot opening in lower level gypsum ceiling at the area where the IR showed tem to be. 30 minutes later, bees gone, honey extracted and residue cleaned, ceiling temporarily patched and on with life.

I did not think to take pics - wish I had.

By the way, exterminator said sometimes he has to spend lots of time trying to determine locations!!!