• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by davidlord

It's here.

Image Insert:

200841124157_IR000002.jpg

16.88 KB

I don't have much time to play gotta go to a Deacons meeting at church. Darn it.

You need to let us know how long that battery actually last.

I got my wife to agree to take $1000 our of our savings and I have to come up with the rest through my business. It looks like I'll be getting my IR camera by the end of this month.[:-party]

Originally posted by Richard Stanley

I found a new use for mine yesterday.

Monday evening I noticed some bees hanging around one side of my house and they were going in between the brick and and the upper cladding.

Tuesday morning after I called the exterminator I tried the IR just to see what I could see. Sure enough. It showed the exact location - a hot spot about the size of a football. A triangulation of views showed them to be between floors. Shortly after the exterminator did his thing, we cut about 2 square foot opening in lower level gypsum ceiling at the area where the IR showed tem to be. 30 minutes later, bees gone, honey extracted and residue cleaned, ceiling temporarily patched and on with life.

I did not think to take pics - wish I had.

By the way, exterminator said sometimes he has to spend lots of time trying to determine locations!!!

Just curious, did a beekeeper come and remove the hive or did you nuke them? I saw something someplace a couple of weeks ago that said that we are rapidly losing species of bees throughout the world due to pesticides and such and that without them lots of plants won't do as well.

At the time I thought to myself, "Wow, maybe more folks need to set up beekeeping operations around the world to try and beef up the bee population."

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Four years ago we stopped killing bees. Granted some bees do get killed during the normal course of extermination, but we no longer respond to calls to kill bees.

We will do prevention for past customers and those with medical needs.

We will respond to calls that involve swarming and have always been able to calm folks down and not kill bees. Usually they offer to pay our standard service fee, but we never make a big issue about it if they don't want to pay.

Bee population decline is a very real, very large problem. I'm not proposing the end of the world, but without bees, there's no pollination, and without pollination, there's no plants growing, i.e., no food.

My brother kept bees for a while. It's another of those jobs that the entire world food source depends on, but it pays squat, and no one is going into the business. All the bee keepers I know are old guys (like HI's?).

Couple that w/all sorts of odd odd bee die-offs, and the picture for bees is pretty dim.

Huh,

Sounds like another non-profitable hobby (kind of like TIJ) that I probably should get into just to try and do my little insignificant part. I don't have a place for hives, but I suppose I could rent a pea patch or use a friend's back yard if I agree to let them have some of the honey. Guess I need to get on the net and start learning about it.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

No lack of farmers that will let you set up on their land. Hauling around hives is hard work, but worthy & soul satisfying. Getting the honey extracted from the comb is problematic without big machinery, so you have to get hooked up w/some sort of established situation so it doesn't get to be a hassle.

I remember putting a couple hives full of several thousand bees in the back seat of my brothers Buick. It's kinda strange driving around w/bee's flying around in the car, but they seem to like it. Something about the vibration and hum of motors mellows them out. Only got stung a couple times, and it was sad, because the bee dies.

It's actually really fun. I was bummed when my brother packed it in. Bee's are really gentle, wonderful creatures.

I hate it when folks call hornets or wasps, Bee's. It's degrading.

Both of the houses I inspected today were less than 5 years old and both in pretty good shape.

I was able to take a look at some missing insulation and loose insulation on a knee wall.

Both of the areas were visible from the attic but it was cool to be able to see it from the interior.

Image Insert:

20084215208_IR000005.jpg

9.47 KB

Image Insert:

200842152048_IR000007.jpg

10.37 KB

Not a bad idea; especially if you've got old lead paint particles ground into the soil around your home. According to the dude who I took lead inspection training from years ago, sunflowers will suck lead right out of the soil. Don't ask me how; all I know it's got something to do with molecular bonding to phosphates.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by hausdok

Not a bad idea; especially if you've got old lead paint particles ground into the soil around your home. According to the dude who I took lead inspection training from years ago, sunflowers will suck lead right out of the soil. Don't ask me how; all I know it's got something to do with molecular bonding to phosphates.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

And what do they do with the lead? Do I need to stop eating sunflower seeds?

If they take it up into the plant and the plant falls over and decomposes, doesn't the lead just go right back into the soil?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Hi Jim,

Haven't a clue. I'm sure someone in the class probably asked but I don't remember his response.

Maybe Kurt knows and has met the guy; he was from Illinois, spoke with an Irish brogue and is an instructor at University of Illinois or some such.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

"Just curious, did a beekeeper come and remove the hive or did you nuke them? "

The extermimator exterminated them with some kind of dust he pumped in to the cavity. We also have lots of africanized "killer bees" around here. I'm not sure what these were - they didn't act hostile - I didn't try to provoke them. I had a swarm of the africans in my back yard a couple of years ago - the city vector control sent a guy out and he wiped them out. Luckily, I saw the swarm arrive and called them immediately as they were trying to set up housekeeping in one of my back yard trees. I don't know how far north the africans have migrated - they don't do freezing weather - but, there are not to be messed with. There are frequent reports of attacks especially to people mowing their yards. You get a few thousand stings in just a few minutes.

Originally posted by randynavarro

Is it my imagination or are David's IR photos showing up with much better resolution than some of the other photos posted?

Is it a result of the camera or how they're being saved and uploaded to this board?

I agree. The pictures being posted looks great.

Davidlord, can you take a picture of your electrical panel and post it? It would be interesting to see what that looks like.

Not to mention that the operator of the camera has no clue what he's doing. I'm sure someone with a little experience could make them even better. You can also do alot with the pic in the software but the ones I posted were untouched. I'm telling you guy's this thing is awesome.

Once I get some experience and basic training there will be an extra fee involved for the thermal scan. It should sell itself. I was showing it to one of my clients yesterday and they were amazed.

I will get a pic of the electrical panel today.

Originally posted by davidlord

It looks just like the picture. You can toggle back and forth between IR and Fusion mode.

When you toggle to the full IR mode, does the IR image in the middle expand to fill the whole screen or does it stay the same size and the area around it also rendered in IR?

- Jim Katen, Oregon