Self draining toilet

Jim Katen

I have not seen this toilet. The owner says that the toilet flushes properly and that the water level in the bowl is at the normal height 5 minutes after it's been flushed. However, when she comes back an hour later, the level of water has dropped to a mere puddle.

I can't recall having seen this before. Does anyone know what's going on?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Jim,

From HERE (#7) I found:

The toilet may be partially clogged. The clog can actually cause a siphon and pull water from the bowl. The other possibility is more severe. There can actually be a crack or small defect in the colon of the toilet. This is the channel that water passes through to get to the drain pipe. A colon crack or defect means it is time for a new toilet.

How old is the toilet?

HEREis why I ask.

A lot of things could happen to cause the toilet to siphon out. Back when I did service calls a lot of times there was something stuck in the trapway. Such as wad of TP, or feminine hygiene product. Might recommend the owner to purchase a Rigid K-3 Toilet Auger. $25 or so at HD. And try to see if anything gets stuck on the end of it, such as paper. (I'm sure everybody has a plunger, but an auger is handy as well, and I would never recommend anything else but Rigid K-3 with a bulb head. It's great for cleaning toilet trap ways.)

Blockage in their main drain lines could cause an extra siphoning, if not vented properly/adequately

Inadequate venting could also cause this. There maybe just enough venting for that toilet when it's flushed, but if there is a surge in the main sewer line around their house, this could cause traps in that house to siphon out.

Never rule out the phenomenon of the wind playing a role. ( I had always doubted that theory, until a few years ago, when it was the only logical explanation, but that is a long, long story)

Frank