well jet pump?

jodil

What am I looking for when inspecting a well jet pump? I ran the water to get this pump going today, the pressure in the off mode was at about 40psi stayed steady while pump came on, shot up to about 60psi when it kicked off then went back to 40psi. Any suggestions? I know nothing about them..

Thank you!

Image Insert:

2008428205857_IMG_1042.jpg

74.64 KB

The 40psi and 60psi are the pumps cut on and cut off points. The switch is sat to come on and start the pump when the pressure drops to 40psi. It cuts off when it hits 60psi. other well pumps are set on 30 & 50.

Some of the things you need to look at is did the pump cut off while running the water or did it stay on all the time. If it stayed on all the time the tank is water logged.

Did you have good water flow? Was the pump make a lot of noise? When you cut the water off did the pressure stay at the place it was at or did the pressure go down?

Most of the time the electrical wiring will have a breaker larger that the wire size like you see on an exterior AC unit.

That looks to be a shallow well setup. There are other items that can be looked at but that is the main items I look at.

Mike has post a good site. Being raised out in the woods i worked on a few pumps and Daddy worked for a pump company and one of his jobs when I was growing up

Originally posted by Phillip

Some of the things you need to look at is did the pump cut off while running the water or did it stay on all the time. If it stayed on all the time the tank is water logged.

I think you have that backwards. If the tank is waterlogged the pressure would hit high & low pressures, one immediately after the other, causing the pump to cycle on and off continuously about every second (shortcycling). If the pump stays on continuously while the water is running it just isn't gaining any ground against the water usage. Maybe nothing, maybe worn impeller or undersized pump.

When the tank is full of water there is no place for the pressure to build up while the water is running.

When the tank is only has a little air in it which is still water logged will do what you are talking about.

You are right about the other items that can cause the pump not being able to keep up. Any time the pump does not cut off for a reasonable time there are problems that needs to be repaired.

Originally posted by Phillip

When the tank is full of water there is no place for the pressure to build up while the water is running.

When the tank is only has a little air in it which is still water logged will do what you are talking about.

I have to disagree. Water is not compressible. If the tank is full of water,when the pump kicks on and tries to fill the tank, there will be a measurable head pressure on the discharge side of the pump. That pressure meeting the brick wall of incompressible fluid is going to instantly build, trip the pressure switch and cut off the pump. The instant the pump cuts off the head pressure no longer being part of the equation and the water in the tank not having been compressed, will not push back so the low pressure is immediately tripped and the pump kicks in again. Next time you have one doing this, open the Schrader valve at the top of the tank, does it spit water every time the pump kicks in or bleed air? Now if the pump is running continuously with the faucets closed, you would be correct.

If it were completely waterlogged & the pump running continuously with the faucet open, then the instant you closed the faucet it would shut off the pump at high pressure. I have never found this to be the case.

Hi Chad,

Yeah, I stepped on it with that one. Problem is, though I knew instantly exactly what you were referring to, try as I might, after you'd pointed it out I couldn't remember the correct spelling of course for some reason. I finally had to go to the dictionary and look it up before I could get my spelling memory to reboot itself.

This getting older memory has an insidious habit of sneaking homonyms in when I'm typing and they just aren't registering the way they used to.

Most be the early signs of mad cow.

Denny Craine! (Now I can't remember if he spelled it Crane, Craine, or Crain) [:-banghea

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike