Now that's just a stupid design!

Richard Moore

100-amp GE service panel (1958) home. Not a split bus and no main breaker (or other service disconnect) so the number of throws is wrong, but that's not my beef. All of the 240 breakers were single poles with these little inter-connects. The cover had bars between the breakers so there was no way to remove it without first removing the "links". They were held in place with small set-screws and my smallest screwdriver wouldn't fit. Frankly, I'm not sure I would have removed them all if it had.

Image Insert:

2008725104621_080724T066.jpg

53.07 KB

Fortunately, the client was buying the place "as is" (had seen a previous inspection report), and was already planning a complete upgrade of the service and un-grounded electrical system, so not a huge deal not being able to get into it. But...[:-bigeyes

Hi Rich,

I've seen those many times but usually the electrician will have snipped away the little strip of metal between the two halves of the 2-pole breaker so that the cover can be removed. There's a little indentation in the metal there; snip the center and bend the two halves back and forth and they break off very cleanly right at the indentation. Very strange that they did that.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by hausdok

....usually the electrician will have snipped away the little strip of metal between the two halves of the 2-pole breaker so that the cover can be removed. ....

Yeah, I've probably seen that myself but it didn't register. Oh well.

I'm not even going to bitch about the plumbing right across the crawl entry barring access or the brand new furnace installed without any provision for a filter. Just one of "those" houses!