A/C Clean & Check

Konrad

Would it be inappropriate to have boilerplate that says something to the effect of recommending a "clean & check, including sanitizing the evap coil", if the unit is more than a few years old, and there isn't any regular record of maintenance?

It's the sanitizing of the evap coil that I'm focusing on here, but would it be a cop-out on the HVAC portion of the inspection? A person could arguably put this in most of their reports, yes or no?

If you can't inspect the coil and it's got some miles on it, warning the client that it might need cleaning is not a cop-out. I lean on it a little more if they have a good-&-dirty air filter, a likely sign that it doesn't get changed much. "Sanitized" is an awfully strong word for this situation though, "clean" should be sufficient (IMHO).

I wish they would pass a law requiring easy access to evaporator coils, I'd love to able to inspect every last one.

Brian G.

Another red flag is a buildup of dirt on the supply registers. They can have a new filter and just vacuumed the return air box/duct before I got there but if the supplies are dirty I call it out as a lack of maintenance and recommend cleaning of the entire system including the coil.