Sometimes I hate my job!

I was sitting here at my computer drink my soda, the kids and wife gone to bed, TV off and I finally had some quite to get some work done. That is when it started.

Tick, Tick, Tick

The sound of water dripping onto something metal. It had rained today. I was upset for a moment, because now I had to find the dang leak and fix it. Shouldn't be too hard though I thought.

Well, of course, first I check the kitchen sink. Nope, the faucet is turned off and not dripping. Besides, I can't hear it anymore in the kitchen. It must be in the attic above my office I thought. Or the water heater maybe. Hrmm, OK not the water heater, and the sound is barely audible over here too. Hrmm.

I say the heck with it, I don't want to go into the attic tonight. I sit back down at the computer, take a sip of my coke and get back to work.

Tick, Tick, Tick

Dang thing is driving me crazy. That is a lot of water I thought. Up in the attic I go (the hatch is right above my desk). Nothing, nada, zip. Bone dry and everything is good, besides I can't hear anything up here either. Dang it, now I'm getting a little miffed.

I return to my desk, take another sip of my coke.....

tick tick tick

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

I just set my head down on the desk for a moment, and listened to the sound. Maybe I could use my Navy training to estimate range and bearing.

Now the ticking is louder. I slowly open my eyes and right in front of my face, THERE IT IS!

My Soda. It was making a ticking sound from the carbonation bubbles. I must have sat there for 5 minutes trying to decide if I should throw the coke against the wall or not. I decided to just drink it and move on with a little laugh.

I remember when I got my first pager. I was doing something and heard a vibration where the dishwasher was at. I was puzzled on what component on the dishwasher could cause that noise. When the pager vibrated again, I felt like an ass. [:-censore From that point on, I always felt like throwing that pager in our garbage compactor.[:D]

I know how you feel.

I once got a call from a former client; he was a little P.O.'d - seems he'd been trying for several months to track down an odd Beep-Beep tone that would sound every 5 minutes in the house. Finally, late one night, after it had awoken him for the umteenth time, he got out a ladder and climbed into the attic and spent nearly an hour's worth of 5 minute periods waiting for the beep to sound. When he finally found the sound, he discovered a pager that I'd lost during the inspection. It had a bunch of calls on it and was trying to alert me to call them back.

Oh well!

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT

Were you a sonar tech in the navy?

Originally posted by sepefrio

I was sitting here at my computer drink my soda, the kids and wife gone to bed, TV off and I finally had some quite to get some work done. That is when it started.

Tick, Tick, Tick

The sound of water dripping onto something metal. It had rained today. I was upset for a moment, because now I had to find the dang leak and fix it. Shouldn't be too hard though I thought.

Well, of course, first I check the kitchen sink. Nope, the faucet is turned off and not dripping. Besides, I can't hear it anymore in the kitchen. It must be in the attic above my office I thought. Or the water heater maybe. Hrmm, OK not the water heater, and the sound is barely audible over here too. Hrmm.

I say the heck with it, I don't want to go into the attic tonight. I sit back down at the computer, take a sip of my coke and get back to work.

Tick, Tick, Tick

Dang thing is driving me crazy. That is a lot of water I thought. Up in the attic I go (the hatch is right above my desk). Nothing, nada, zip. Bone dry and everything is good, besides I can't hear anything up here either. Dang it, now I'm getting a little miffed.

I return to my desk, take another sip of my coke.....

tick tick tick

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

I just set my head down on the desk for a moment, and listened to the sound. Maybe I could use my Navy training to estimate range and bearing.

Now the ticking is louder. I slowly open my eyes and right in front of my face, THERE IT IS!

My Soda. It was making a ticking sound from the carbonation bubbles. I must have sat there for 5 minutes trying to decide if I should throw the coke against the wall or not. I decided to just drink it and move on with a little laugh.

• 4 weeks later...

I spent what seemed like forever trying to figure out why a furnace made so much noise when I put the cover back on. Usual things, check fan, filter, adjust cover .....everything I could think of then realized the noise came out of the draft hood. Went outside in time to see the wood pecker pounding on the chimney rain cap.

Owen