Fein Multi master

Chad Fabry

I own a Fein Multi Master. If any of you folks own one then you know the blades and accessories are very expensive. Fein Charges 50 bucks for one saw blade and they're delicate as heck. I've been making mine from Japanese Pull saws but it takes a half hour to make two blades plus the 17 bucks for the pull saw.

Anyway, I'm happy to inform you that Dremel has come out with a tool like the Fein and I'm sure it's no coincidence that their implements fit the Fein. Dremel's blades are 9.50 at Lowes. Similar savings can be had on the whole line.

I'm jealous.

Bourgeois snob. . . .

If you wait long enough, eBay will provide 1/2 off on anything you want.

It's a really useful tool. I don't use it a lot but for certain tasks it's the only tool that'll do. I've used competitive models they're not even close.

My brother in law has a bunch of Festo stuff. The guide rails and the plunge saw, a router, a drill, the random orbit sanders and the Vac. I love using it all but it makes everything I have feel crude and loud.

The vac works so well at collecting dust you could sand in your kitchen.

It's the only sanding tool I've ever used that actually worked the way I wanted it to. Essentially impossible to satisfactorily sand the interior rib to plank area of a wood boat without it (at least, without it taking 3 years).

Only drooled on Festo. They're the tools Ericcson is using on their Volvo sailing challenge. They've built what are probably the fastest sailing machines ever assembled for a round the world race, and they partnered with Festo.

Of course, what that means is money is no object. That's why I don't own any.

I had no Fein or Festo during my carpentry years, but I did have a 2-part philosophy about tools.

1. Good tools make money; crummy tools cost money.

2. Good tools are worth whatever you pay for them, if you use them.

Of course, I got things as inexpensively as possible, but I didn't buy cheap junk. I suspect I'll be a carpenter again most of next year (at least), as we ride this economic storm out. I may have to look into those two brands (on ebay).

Brian G.

Just Like Old Times [:-weepn]

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

I'm jealous.

Bourgeois snob. . . .

If you wait long enough, eBay will provide 1/2 off on anything you want.

It's a really useful tool. I don't use it a lot but for certain tasks it's the only tool that'll do. I've used competitive models they're not even close.

My brother in law has a bunch of Festo stuff. The guide rails and the plunge saw, a router, a drill, the random orbit sanders and the Vac. I love using it all but it makes everything I have feel crude and loud.

The vac works so well at collecting dust you could sand in your kitchen.

Those tools are outside my budget. My project wouldn't fit in the kitchen so I had to build in the dining room.

Tom

Image Insert:

20081115121113_100_0080.jpg

1037.88 KB