Laundry pump

Darren

The laundry tray discharge pump isn't properly vented. The current configuration stinks. Literally. Most laundry pumps of this style should have a vent that extends at least 18 inches above the flood plane of the sink. The vent is allowed to be terminated with an air admittance valve or it should terminate above the roof. I'm positive that the manufacturer's instructions will outline the correct installation choices, I suggest that you refer to them and install the tray pump in an acceptable fashion that won't stink.

Hi Chad

An AAV is NG as the water draining into the sealed pit will need to displace some air. An AAV will not let air out. A conventional back vent must be installed and will also function as a relief vent.

Well, got to go, my snowmobile riding partner just showed up.

Tom Corrigan

Hi Tom, You're right. I guess I wasn't on track mentally when I described the system. The vent should extend above the horizontal plane of the sewer line.

Chad;

Great minds think alike; I pretty much stated either tie the vent to the existing vent system or extend it to the exterior.

However, it's possible we're wrong.

The National Standard Plumbing Code may state otherwise.

Section 11.7.9 Individual fixture ejector or pump-

(d) The installation of manually or automatically operated equipment shall not be subject to the venting requirements of this code but shall be vented only as required for proper operation of the equipment.

A licensed plumber referred to that section of the code and said the current installation is acceptable.

I just always figured if something was tied into the sanitary line, it shouldn't/couldn't have an opening in the house.

Any plumbers on this board?

What is trapping sewer gas from entering the building? Maybe the pump install is ok, but if the sewer line is open with nothing to trap the sewer gas, that is a problem. Is there a check valve or water trap before the sewer line? Does the discharge line remain full when pump is not running? There must be something to trap gases or it stinks.

What is trapping sewer gas from entering the building? Maybe the pump install is ok, but if the sewer line is open with nothing to trap the sewer gas, that is a problem. Is there a check valve or water trap before the sewer line? Does the discharge line remain full when pump is not running? There must be something to trap gases or it stinks.

There's a check valve on the discharge in Darren's picture. All require check valves. Some also have traps on the drain inside the tank.

If you read the manufacturers' installation instructions, most state to connect the vent pipe to "the sewer vent system". Several have warnings not to use vent "devices".

The practice of terminate the vent over the sink comes from the discharge pumps that don't have a reservoir tank.

The one in our laundry room is installed the same as in the pic. Municipal inspectors around these parts don't seem concerned.

According to the IPC the vent should be tied into the building's venting system or terminate outdoor as the waste the pump receives is by code definition sewage ("Any liquid waste containing animal or vegetable matter in solution, including liquids containing chemicals in solution." - IPC) making this a sewage ejector which requires venting by section 916.5.1 of the IPC.

I think the argument that the plumber could make is that because of the backcheck valve in the discharge line, no sewer gas could possibly make it back into the container so the only smell would come from anything actually in the container itself.

The other thing that could be noted is the drain line on the outlet side does not comply with section 704.2 ("Change in size. The size of the drainage piping shall not be reduced in size in the direction of the flow" - IPC)