Wesco Electric Furnace

CHI2

I can't seem to find any information regarding manufacture dates or when the Wesco company went out of business. I've searched the site, however I can't locate any information. Any ideas?

In an effort to decode their serial number system, I kept a log of serial numbers and dates from Wesco furnaces. (Till I got bored with it.) The most recent one I ever found was from 1990. I suppose they went out of business shortly afterwards.

I was never able to decode their system -- heck, there may not have been a system; they might have just been consecutively numbered. If anyone's up for solving a puzzle, here's what I've got:

1972 - A-553166

1975 - B-474712

1978 - B-629503

1979 - B-668018

1979 - B-656649A

1980 - B-667591

1987 - B-802958

1988 - B-803857

1990 - B-805346

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Thanks Jim,

I looked everywhere online and I'm surprised there's not more information regarding the company. I appreciate the info and I'll just call it old!

My impression is that Wesco and King were only distributed in our corner of the country.

Has anyone outside of the Pacific Northwest ever seen a Wesco or King furnace?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• 5 months later...

I can't seem to find any information regarding manufacture dates or when the Wesco company went out of business. I've searched the site, however I can't locate any information. Any ideas?

In an effort to decode their serial number system, I kept a log of serial numbers and dates from Wesco furnaces. (Till I got bored with it.) The most recent one I ever found was from 1990. I suppose they went out of business shortly afterwards.

I was never able to decode their system -- heck, there may not have been a system; they might have just been consecutively numbered. If anyone's up for solving a puzzle, here's what I've got:

1972 - A-553166

1975 - B-474712

1978 - B-629503

1979 - B-668018

1979 - B-656649A

1980 - B-667591

1987 - B-802958

1988 - B-803857

1990 - B-805346

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Found one today, serial # 616967, so that would make it 1977?

• 1 year later...

Ours has a no. 945839 in a 1972 mobile home

Well, that completely messes up my numbering system. Are you certain about the number? Is there and A or B before it?

....the blower works only when it wants to....any suggestions on how to fix it?

That is, without owning a time machine!?

It shouldn't be difficult. Those are exceedingly simple machines. The heating elements, relays, & blowers are all off-the-shelf parts. Any halfway competent HVAC tech ought to be able to fix it.

I never looked at the control circuits for them very carefully, but it sounds like you might have a sticky relay.

These furnaces never die.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Thanks Jim,

I looked everywhere online and I'm surprised there's not more information regarding the company. I appreciate the info and I'll just call it old!

My impression is that Wesco and King were only distributed in our corner of the country.

Has anyone outside of the Pacific Northwest ever seen a Wesco or King furnace?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Haven't seen one dpwn here

• 9 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/6/2021 at 3:43 PM, Jim Katen said:

If it's not producing any heat, then it's unlikely to have one heating element that's out. Either all of them are out or the sequencer or a relay are bad. 

These machines are very simple. Any heating contractor can fix it. What state & city are you in? 

Jim, I found a bunch of documentation on mine. If it's useful, I can get a copy.