Tankless Water Heater Drain Pan

ScottGregg

I ran accross this board while looking for something else. I though you guys might like to know about this. This is a new product called "The Wall Saver" Drain pan for tankless water heaters and wall mounted equipment. I happen to be the local Rep in VA, MD, DE. It is a plastic pan that mounts below the tankless and the bottom bracket can actually be mounted over the backsplash of the pan. It offers superior water protection in the event of a failure. In my area the inspectors are now insisting on it when a tankless is insstalled in a building where a leak can do damage. It's code in UPC, IBC and IPC, probably more that are not in use in my area.

While it's true that tankless water heaters do not have a tank to burst, they do have a heat exchanger and everything eventually reaches the end of its life Cycle. When a tankless water heater HX fails, the water that leaks out can be anything from drip to a steady stream like a garden hose running about 1/2 flow!

If the installation of ANY water heater (Or wall mounted boiler for that matter) is in, adjacent to or above a finished space (Not un unfinished area like a basement or garage) you need the protection of a pan. The intent of the code seems pretty clear in my opinion.

The company's website is under development so it might not show up on google yet.

www.thewallsaver.com

My email is mscottgregg@comcast.net I’m just a local rep but I’ll help out if I can.

[:-thumbu]

Very true, however many home inspectors in my area are also still active tradesmen. I hopefully will let those kind of folks know that this exists to meet current code in their areas and possibly solve a problem with a local plumbing inspector enforcing the code, most of which are well outside of my area.

Very true, however many home inspectors in my area are also still active tradesmen. I hopefully will let those kind of folks know that this exists to meet current code in their areas and possibly solve a problem with a local plumbing inspector enforcing the code, most of which are well outside of my area.

That's not good.. VA has a state license that forbids home inspectors that are licensed from working on stuff they have inspected.

New product info is great, but it annoys me when salespeople come here just to drop links.

"The Inspector's Journal is a professional home inspection business related website. Only persons with a professional affiliation to the home inspection business should post questions or responses...Advertising and other inappropriate messages are subject to removal at the sole discretion of TIJ management".

"The purpose of TIJ's Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue".

I suggest mods keep any useful info, but snip the free links these people are posting.

That's not good.. VA has a state license that forbids home inspectors that are licensed from working on stuff they have inspected.

Scott--

While I fully understand your point, I still find it worthwhile to point out that someone can be an active tradesman without working on a home he inspected. There are part time inspectors, especially in smaller markets.

While I am not usually in the habit of recommending specific products, I do think it's good to know about them.

Just put these types of posts in the proper forum -- with no pretenses that the post is from a home inspector. At least the OP here let us know he was a sales rep.

Hi Bill,

You're right of course; but we do look at the product, whether the information is useful to a home inspector, and whether the person is dumping links into a bunch of different forums first. When we see that, we usually delete the threads or remove the hot links from them and then lock the person's profile so they can no longer post anything. Then they have to come on under a different name and try again and we keep deleting their stuff and locking them until they give up. We've had some interesting registration duals with some pretty persistent fellows.

I hope you'll agree that an American manufacturer mentioning a product once or twice with a link to his site is a far cry from a foreign company that comes in here at night and posts unintelligible drivel on every forum they can with links to totally unrelated crap. After all, when I find new products I routinely post information about those here and include the links.

Don't worry, we'll never resemble the soap opera.

By the way, has anyone had any more problems with foreign spammers using TIJ's internal messaging or email system since we put tighter controls on that?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 1 year later...

Hi,

"He" hasn't a clue what he is talking about. I read some of his reviews. He's called an A.O. Smith Vertex water heater a "tankless" heater. Any person that is supposed to be an expert on water heaters would never call a Vertex a tankless water heater.

I think it's some kind of scam site that lures folks in and then he probably has a way to track who they are or to put spyware or malware on their computer. Don't go there.

I'm going to fix that link so that it won't work. I don't want anyone taking advice from someone who clearly has no idea what he's talking about.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your reply Mike. Unfortunately you did not express an opinion on Navien NR-210a. Choosing this particular water heater, I was based not only on the review, which I indicated in my post. I just would like to hear more expert opinion.

And through that site. I would not have been so categorical in relation to him. And I never accused another person of wrongdoing (and the spread of malicious software - this is a very serious charge) without any evidence. Especially because your arguments are based solely on an error in the description of one model. I like this site did not seem to blende. I wrote a letter to the owners of this site, which pointed to the errors about which you wrote, let's see how they react to it. I think it was just a typo.

But in any case, thank you for your reply.

Good luck.

P.S. I'm sorry for my English. This is not my native language.

Thank you for your reply Mike. Unfortunately you did not express an opinion on Navien NR-210a. Choosing this particular water heater, I was based not only on the review, which I indicated in my post. I just would like to hear more expert opinion.

And through that site. I would not have been so categorical in relation to him. And I never accused another person of wrongdoing (and the spread of malicious software - this is a very serious charge) without any evidence. Especially because your arguments are based solely on an error in the description of one model. I like this site did not seem to blende. I wrote a letter to the owners of this site, which pointed to the errors about which you wrote, let's see how they react to it. I think it was just a typo.

But in any case, thank you for your reply.

Good luck.

P.S. I'm sorry for my English. This is not my native language.

Here's what appears at the original link you posted: "Questionable site - avoid entering sensitive data". You claim to be from NY, yet your IP is in Russia.

I think http://thetanklessheaters.com/ is a phishing site and a scam.

Here's what appears at the original link you posted: "Questionable site - avoid entering sensitive data".

Where did you find such message here http://thetanklessheaters.com/navien-nr-210a.html ??? I visited this page again with IE, Opera and FireFox, and i didn't find such message. What program showed you such message?

You claim to be from NY, yet your IP is in Russia.

Do you heard something abut VPN? if no - please read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network . I use Russian VPN, because i work with some Russian companies. So some advice - don't criticize somebody, until you 100% sure :) (PEACE).

I think http://thetanklessheaters.com/ is a phishing site and a scam.

As i wrote higher i visited this source again. It's information site. Yes, i saw a lot of mistakes and some inaccuracies there. But it's only INFORMATION site. Where is SCAM??? Where is phishing??? I didn't find any forms to buy something or to enter any information. It's just information site, usual directory of articles. So, another advice - before writing words "scam" or "phishing", please, make some analysis :) (PEACE).

It's my LAST post about this. Please, forget about this "phishing" and "scam" site. :)))

Somebody, tell me at last about your experience with Navien Nr 210a heater, please!

(Sorry again for my English)