Dual service panels?

Tim H

There are two 200 amp panels being fed by a switch box for a to-be-installed-later generator. Should either, neither or both panels have the ground and neutral terminal bars bonded? Both panels are currently bonded, and both feed 125 amp panels that have the neutrals and grounds isolated.

I think it is right, but would appreciate some opinions.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 05-02-2009 033.jpg

46.34 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 05-02-2009 034.jpg

52.81 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 05-02-2009 035.jpg

54.92 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 05-02-2009 036.jpg

52.92 KB

Thanks,

Tim

There are two 200 amp panels being fed by a switch box for a to-be-installed-later generator. Should either, neither or both panlels have the ground and neutral terminal bars bonded? Both panels are currently bonded, and both feed 125 amp panels that have the neutrals and grounds isolated.

I think it is right, but would appreciate some opinions.

The grounding conductor and the neutral conductor should be bonded at the first disconnect and not in either of the 200-amp panels. It looks as if they ought to remove the jumpers and move all the white wires to the left terminals and all the grounding wires to the right terminals.

So they're going to put in a generator that will power the entire house? That'll be a big sucker.

What's with the little yellow cable in the first cabinet?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

My take is that it is a bit of an odd set-up. I'm kind of thrown by the bare neutral (grounded) feed to the other two panels from the disconnect.

I think by the "rules" the diconnect panel would be considered the service equipment and the bonding should take place there. Then I would normally expect to see a 4-wire feed (with insulated neutral) to each of the "sub" panels where the neutrals would float. BUT...having said that, it's not a configuration I'm at all familiar with and I wouldn't be making any calls without asking questions myself.

Jim K...you there?

(edit...obviously he was and typing at the same time I was)

My take is that it is a bit of an odd set-up. I'm kind of thrown by the bare neutral (grounded) feed to the other two panels from the disconnect.

I didn't notice that. I see what looks like insulated neutral feeders going to each 200-amp panel, but I don't see where they originate.???

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I didn't notice that. I see what looks like insulated neutral feeders going to each 200-amp panel, but I don't see where they originate.???

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I think the little yellow wire is for the interior control panel.

Tim