HOW TO'S

mannyb

I'M PLANNING ON GETTING INTO ESTIMATING, TO ADVANCE MY SKILLS

I WOULD LIKE TO DO IT WITH OUT MY BOSS KNOWING ARE THERE ANY

GOOD BOOKS THAT WOULD TEACH ME LOAD ANAYLSIS,ONE-LINES,ADD-ONS, REMODELS, AND PERMITS. I WOULD LIKE TO START MY OWN BUSINESS, EVENTUALLY. ANY THING WOULD HELP BY THE WAY NEW MEMBER !

There are all different types and levels of estimating. You could estimate for a contractor, general contractor, a stone fabricator, an electrician...roofer, etc. I would image you should become knowlegable, and understand the root subject.

There is also refrence material, such as Means, to help.

If I was doing an estimate that involved anything other than my expertise, I would get an estimate from the person that will do the job. If it's a busy company, you may send out for bids from multiple subs. Depending upon the job, your involvement can vary from being the guy who can pull the numbers out of your head, to being the guy who is an expert at putting together the numbers.

It is very common for a specialty contractor to gets sets of plans to estimate off of, or some companies have contractors, or their estimators, spend the day doing take offs in their office.

Make sure you are good at detailing what is and isn't included.

You should improve with age.