Reaching new realtors

Allen

I was wondering if anyone has found a way to market to newer real estate agents. I feel like this crowd will have fewer connections in the business and I may be able to gain their loyalty if I am able to reach them before any of the seasoned inspectors. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Don't bother,

Figure out who the biggest employer is in your area and find a way to get word to their employees, via their internal intranet message boards like this one, that you'll do inspections for them at a discount. It doesn't have to be much - $25 will get them interested enough to talk to you.

Once you get one to hire you, do a great job and ask him/her to tell the other employees on that message board about the great inspection they got by working with your little company. Once they start talking about you and you start picking up those jobs, always ask them to tell their fellow employees about their experience with your company.

If you do a good job and they feel their money was well spent, your business with them will spread like mold in a gymnasium shower. As you go along, you'll meet their realtors. Those who like the job that you do, will refer you to future clients that aren't employees of that company; those who don't like you because you don't suck up or allow yourself to be manipulated into minimizing stuff for the sake of the sale, will not refer you and you'll be better off for it.

Don't screw up. All it will take is one negative review to seriously hurt your standing with that pool of employees. The others will defend you for honest mistakes, and if the complainer clearly has unrealistic expectations, but if your screwup is due to laziness, incompetence or just outright negligence, you'll be toast. Do not put all of your eggs in the same basket; who's the next biggest employer around, and the next, and the....?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I was wondering if anyone has found a way to market to newer real estate agents. I feel like this crowd will have fewer connections in the business and I may be able to gain their loyalty if I am able to reach them before any of the seasoned inspectors. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Why would you want to? But, if you absolutley must, then target the local real estate school graduates. You can probably buy their lists for little or nothing (what they are worth).

In the real estate section of the local newspaper, you'll often find little blurbs about who's joined what office recently. Just collect those names and send out a few letters each week.

Those newer agents typically sell one or two houses to friends or family members before quitting the business. You might as well inspect those houses.

- Jim Katen, Oregon